SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
557 Posts
Reaction score
Skip the ice and get a portable Engel unit. Plug it in at home to cool it off, plug it in to the car on the trip to/from the boat. Get a small solar panel and you are good to go!

Standard disclaimer, no interest other than a very happy user.

Greg

· Registered
557 Posts
Reaction score
I know this thread is for weekending, but something to think about if you plan to head off cruising some time in the future.

On Guenevere, we bought a red VERY good waterproof soft sided cooler. Sort of like this one.....

It has worked very well for many years. When we are dock we use it for day to day cooler. Before we head off, we re-pack it as our ASB (abandon ship bag). We inspect each item as it goes in so we know it's all good.

During a pot lock we have also used it to hold our pressure cooker filled with sangria....:D

And, with the SAME pressure cooker, as a slow cooker. Simply heat the contents of the PC, then put it in the bag for a few hours.

Just some ideas.

Greg

· Registered
557 Posts
Reaction score
GOOD ON Ya. The correct way of thinking! :D

Greg

Many great ideas! Never gave much thought to a quality soft side cooler,
Good point on the wheels taking up cooler space, being on a mooring and only using the boat for weekends ( during the short summer season in New England adding the solar and other items to run a reefer unit all week just isn't money well spent IMHO , if this was the boat we would be keeping ....... Then yes , but bringing an engel plug in unit with us,
Might be the ticket as it could transfer to our next boat if needed.... Oh well,
Gonna be a long winter got time to think this one out.( if this is my biggest problem to find a solution for this winter I'll count my blessings...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.