SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Hughes 35 - early 80's - its out of the water - where the keel attaches to the boat - there is a small crack on the leading edge on both sides of the keel, its small it runs about 5 inches on each side - at the first inch or so when knocking on the keel it seems like their is a bit of a cavity, hollow sound - very small area, the rest of keel and the attachment point looks good, no separation , no distortion to the bottom paint.

Is this something that would require dropping keel or grinding back area and fill ?

·
Super Moderator
4,264 Posts
To me it reads like there may have been a significant grounding.

I do not think I would proceed without having a knowledgeable surveyor inspect the keel and attachment point.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
We had a 78 model 8.3 way back and there was a gap big enough to to snag crab pots where the washers under the keel nuts went away and everything else was OK. Hauled when we bought, put some 5200 in the gap and rested to Boat on the Keel and tightened everything up, all good. A qualified surveyor will know the difference, if the rest of the Boat looks good get her surveyed.

FWIW Hughes built some Columbia's after they went under, and built some nice Boats.

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
A pic would help. It reads like you are referring to the keel joint. How big is the separation? Does the cracking extend onto the hull? I can't figure how tapping on the iron/lead keel itself would sound hollow. Is there a keel stub that the keel is attached to that you tapped on?

If there is water penetration into a cored hull, that's potentially a big deal. Find out for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently had a similar issue with a boat I was thinking about proceeding with a survey. Check out my post, pics and the great responses from fellow members.

·
Senior Citizen
434 Posts
Small cracks are not uncommon at the hull keel joint. A survey is a must if you are considering purchase.
If it checks out, after inspection torque the keel bolts on the hard.
The crack can be filled, but use 4200 (which can be removed) instead of 5200.
-CH

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
Small cracks are not uncommon at the hull keel joint. A survey is a must if you are considering purchase.
If it checks out, after inspection torque the keel bolts on the hard.
The crack can be filled, but use 4200 (which can be removed) instead of 5200.
-CH
Use 5200 and you dont even need bolts:grin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts