SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my tale of woe:

I loaned my Honda EU2000i generator to a "friend". Before I loaned it out, it ran like a top. Always started on the first or second pull, 100% reliable, no problems what so ever. It has a 4-stroke, 1 cylinder gas engine.

When it was returned to me, however, it did not run so well. It does not want to start cold and when it does, will only run (and not very well, at that) when the choke is fully closed. Any attempt to open the choke (regardless of engine temp) results in the engine dying immediately. When questioned, my "friend" indicated that the engine died soon after she started using it and she took it upon herself to change the oil (why, I don't know) and install a new spark plug. I've checked the plug for type and gap and they are fine. She claims she did nothing else to the engine.

Based on all that, does anybody have a clue what this person could have actually done to it or why it will now only run when fully choked? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend owned this unit before selling it to me, so I assume she knows not to put diesel in it. But I am now starting to suspect old or dirty gas and will pull the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner overnight. I can find no fuel filter other than the debris filter in the fill spout.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By any chance did she run 2cycle gas through it? Cleaning the carb and fuel line should fix it. A friend of mine ran 2cycle through my 4 cycle weed eater and it had the same problem until I took it apart and cleaned it out.
If you mean did she mix gas and 2-stroke oil and fill the tank? I doubt it. Again, she owned this generator before selling it to me, so I assume she knows it takes straight gas.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I see no need to use a cleaner since the gas has not been setting for years and if it is an object pluging up something then cleaners won't dislodge it.
I did buy a cleaning kit (the kind with a gallon can of solvent and a parts basket) and intended to use it. But as I started disassembling the carb, it became apparent that I was going to need new gaskets. So I called the local Honda generator sales outfit to see about availablity. Not in stock, I would have to order them. We started talking about my problem. The guy said these carbs are (surprisingly) so cheap that usually you just toss them rather than spend time and money trying to fix them. He said they ran about forty bucks! I said, "Hell, the carb cleaning kit cost half that! Order me one!"

Well, once the guy got into the catalog, it turns out they actually are about $100 (California emissions regulations, don'cha know) but I bought one anyway. It should get here today. I will still tear down the old one and clean it to see if that was the problem of not. I also tore down my lawnmower carb (also a Honda) and it was all varnished up. The cleaning kit made short work of that!

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update- Because they are relatively cheap, I bought a brand new carb for the generator and bolted it up last night. The generator started right up, ran like a champ and the choke works as it should. Problem solved. Thanks for all the help.
Anybody need a used carburetor for a Honda EU2000i generator? :p

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Disappointing, yet another chance to actually learn something useful lost. I guess it's the American way.
I could give a sh*t if you find my decision to buy a new part "disappointing". Because it is critical to my business that this generator work perfectly every time it is called upon, I cannot afford to not be confident that it will do so or to somehow make the situation worse by my inexpert tinkering with the carburetor. You can take your unwanted and unwarranted disapproval and shove it.

FYI, I will disassemble the carburetor completely and try to get it to function properly and to keep it as a spare. But not because you felt it necessary to express your pomposity here.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
FB, I bet the problem was water at some stage in the fuel and I am sure you will find the needle valve on the fuel inlet (the one that is controlled by the float) has corroded.
Perhaps. It ran without issue for the two years that I owned it and then stopped running within half an hour of the borrower's use. I suspect she added dirty fuel and if that were the case, corrosion would not have had time to occur. I suppose (however loath I am to accede to it) that it is possible that any corrosion could have occurred on my watch and it was simply coincidence that the unit broke down shortly after I loaned it out. In any event, now that it is back up and running, I can disassemble the old carb at my leisure and see what's what.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I read your earlier post about anyone wanting the carb and posted but now the post is not there. Someone deleted it.

I said you could send it to me as I am a pack rat but you should look at it and keep it as a spare yourself.

Anybody..........Who and Why was my post deleted?
The post is still there (on Page 2 of this thread.) In any event, I was joking when I asked if anybody wanted it, hence the :p emoticon.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I will post my results when I tear the old carb down. Just as an FYI, the new carb and gaskets for my EU2000i were about $105.00, which is less than an hour's labor at the repair facility I would have taken mine to for a rebuild.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
US$105 for the lot!!!
Yeah, I was shocked too. I assumed that any Honda part would be expensive. I had initially called the local Honda generator dealership looking for gaskets because I knew I was going to tear up the old ones trying to take apart the carb for cleaning. I asked him what a rebuild at his shop would run me and he said, "You know, these things are so cheap that most people just buy a new one rather than pay to have someone fix the old one." So I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.