SailNet Community banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Disappointing, yet another chance to actually learn something useful lost. I guess it's the American way.
I could give a sh*t if you find my decision to buy a new part "disappointing". Because it is critical to my business that this generator work perfectly every time it is called upon, I cannot afford to not be confident that it will do so or to somehow make the situation worse by my inexpert tinkering with the carburetor. You can take your unwanted and unwarranted disapproval and shove it.

FYI, I will disassemble the carburetor completely and try to get it to function properly and to keep it as a spare. But not because you felt it necessary to express your pomposity here.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,120 Posts
FB, I bet the problem was water at some stage in the fuel and I am sure you will find the needle valve on the fuel inlet (the one that is controlled by the float) has corroded. By operating on the choke it causes a greater vacuum pulling some fuel past the corroded and blocked inlet.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
FB, I bet the problem was water at some stage in the fuel and I am sure you will find the needle valve on the fuel inlet (the one that is controlled by the float) has corroded.
Perhaps. It ran without issue for the two years that I owned it and then stopped running within half an hour of the borrower's use. I suspect she added dirty fuel and if that were the case, corrosion would not have had time to occur. I suppose (however loath I am to accede to it) that it is possible that any corrosion could have occurred on my watch and it was simply coincidence that the unit broke down shortly after I loaned it out. In any event, now that it is back up and running, I can disassemble the old carb at my leisure and see what's what.

·
Back to just the Jon boat
942 Posts
In any event, now that it is back up and running, I can disassemble the old carb at my leisure and see what's what.
I read your earlier post about anyone wanting the carb and posted but now the post is not there. Someone deleted it.

I said you could send it to me as I am a pack rat but you should look at it and keep it as a spare yourself.

Anybody..........Who and Why was my post deleted?

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I read your earlier post about anyone wanting the carb and posted but now the post is not there. Someone deleted it.

I said you could send it to me as I am a pack rat but you should look at it and keep it as a spare yourself.

Anybody..........Who and Why was my post deleted?
The post is still there (on Page 2 of this thread.) In any event, I was joking when I asked if anybody wanted it, hence the :p emoticon.

·
Back to just the Jon boat
942 Posts
I think Therapy may be confusing this thread with the similar one that I posted (and he responded to) over on the Cruiser's Forum.
Am I following this on two forums?

I did not realize that.

Anyway, good luck in finding something out about the carb.

I would very much appreciate you letting me know what it is you find as I have a Honda carb problem of my own right now that is similar. I was going to test it but when I hooked up the gas line it spewed fuel. The connector went bad at that moment so I have not been able to run it to check the fix. They have changed the part and I cannot buy just the tank side and must buy the the whole two-part kit for 48.00+ bucks. Sucks. Maybe a Yamaha next time....

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I will post my results when I tear the old carb down. Just as an FYI, the new carb and gaskets for my EU2000i were about $105.00, which is less than an hour's labor at the repair facility I would have taken mine to for a rebuild.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,120 Posts
US$105 for the lot!!! I paid Aus$17.55 just for the needle valve. We are over taxed here in OZ and pay retail prices (no competition and low volume).

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
SimonV-

They're a lot cheaper if you buy the whole unit... ;) rather than bits and pieces at a time.
US$105 for the lot!!! I paid Aus$17.55 just for the needle valve. We are over taxed here in OZ and pay retail prices (no competition and low volume).

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
US$105 for the lot!!!
Yeah, I was shocked too. I assumed that any Honda part would be expensive. I had initially called the local Honda generator dealership looking for gaskets because I knew I was going to tear up the old ones trying to take apart the carb for cleaning. I asked him what a rebuild at his shop would run me and he said, "You know, these things are so cheap that most people just buy a new one rather than pay to have someone fix the old one." So I did.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Perhaps. It ran without issue for the two years that I owned it and then stopped running within half an hour of the borrower's use. I suspect she added dirty fuel and if that were the case, corrosion would not have had time to occur. I suppose (however loath I am to accede to it) that it is possible that any corrosion could have occurred on my watch and it was simply coincidence that the unit broke down shortly after I loaned it out. In any event, now that it is back up and running, I can disassemble the old carb at my leisure and see what's what.
My apologies, I didn't realize you were using it for business, in which case I completely understand your desire just to get it running. I'd have done the same thing.
I get a little frustrated with the toss it and buy new world we live in.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.