SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Researching the most economical liveaboard situation possible. Ideally, a boat with:
-6 ft. headroom
-26 or 27 ft. (as far as I know, the max. length that still qualifies as trailerable)
-outboard engine (avoid hassles of inboard)
-marine head
-at least one berth with a door: fore or aft, doesn't matter which

Late 70's Catalina 27 is the closest thing I've found.
Any other boats that meet the criteria?

Thanks in advance for humoring me. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm sure I'm not the first with this dream. Oh yeah, max. budget 20K or so.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You may find something you like in a Watkins 27. Most will have a small inboard Yanmar diesel, but there are a few with an outboard. Good luck in your search.

Lou

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
While I was looking at Catalina 27s I found an O'Day 272.

A late 80's model instead of a 70's boat.

I liked the simplicity and rigging set up better.

·
Registered
935 Posts
-26 or 27 ft. (as far as I know, the max. length that still qualifies as trailerable)
-marine head
-at least one berth with a door: fore or aft, doesn't matter which. Late 70's Catalina 27 is the closest thing I've found.
Any other boats that meet the criteria?
Although you could have a Catalina 27 lifted onto a custom made trailer and occasionally tow it with a Very Large Truck... it's not a "trailer sailer" by any means.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A young couple here at the marina I live in found a hunter 30 on craigs list single diesel decent shape good to go. $5ooo they are living aboard and seem happy

·
Registered
43 Posts
If a trailerable is what your looking for consider a Chrysler 26 - 5,000lbs, 6ft headroom, door for the v-berth. Me and my sail cat, Fog, live on mine during the summer months here on Lake Huron.

·
Registered
452 Posts
-marine head
Oh yeah, max. budget 20K or so.
If trailability is a factor then you need to look at width, not length. I believe that Catalina 27 is wider than max legal width without permits (102 in)

For 20 grand there are virtually hundreds boats in 30 ft range, perfectly suitable for live aboard.
However, going back to your requirements
Bristol 27 with outboard motor well and “dinette“ interior can be found for $6000 at most.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for the suggestions. Will look into all of these. I probably could have been clearer about my intentions regarding the use of the trailer. Not thinking about relocating the boat often, just hoping that it could be something fairly simple to move if the need arises. Don't want to have to get permits, use a crane, spend a fortune, etc.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
does size matter?

no not nuts,I have a 26 ft paceship that I have lived aboard on and off for the last 5 yrs,you just need to have less junk and fewer guests.the bigger the boat the bigger the problems

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
The Corsair 31 AC would probably qualify... but probably a bit more boat and money than you want to spend. The Telstar 28 meets most of your requirements, except the having a cabin with a door part...:)

A Catalina 27 isn't really a trailerable boat IMHO. IT can be put on a trailer, but IIRC, it isn't really designed to be trailered or launchable from one.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Am I missing something? ......................
You aer looking for a liveaboard that is trailerable?
Those seem to be, if not mutually exclusive, then at least mutually unneeded?

Usually the point of living aboard is that the boat is in the water all the time; and you don't need any land.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I missing something? ......................
You aer looking for a liveaboard that is trailerable?
Those seem to be, if not mutually exclusive, then at least mutually unneeded?

Usually the point of living aboard is that the boat is in the water all the time; and you don't need any land.
Excerpt from previous post:
"Not thinking about relocating the boat often, just hoping that it could be something fairly simple to move if the need arises. Don't want to have to get permits, use a crane, spend a fortune, etc"
-Bossanova

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would love to have a NorSea 27 with a trailor and a truck that could haul it... would be great to say..hmmm its 33' here in NJ.. day after tomorrow I could be in... tampa :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
A tartan 27 is a big small boat but dont think it is very trailerable although with 3 1/3 ft keel and 6' center board makes it good for gunkholing and sailing.It does have an Atomic 4 inboard engine but if you hated it you could always take it out.They (Tartans 27's) are built like brick s##t houses and the price is very good. The better ones are the very early ones.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts