SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to set up solar electric propulsion on my 21 foot, 900 pound sailboat. Looking to keep budget under $3k or so.

Desired speed is low. If there is wind, I will sail. Range is more important. Looking to be able to get 14 miles without a recharge.

Recharge I can use Parks Canada charge stations but I am also looking for some solar.

My general plan to start is a 55 pound trolling motor mounted in the well, looking at the Newport Vessel 55 pound trolling motor in my well, 100 Ah Dakota LiFePO4 battery and 100 Watts of Solar.

By my math, this will give me my range at very low speeds (just under 2 knots).

The boat is weight sensitive so prefer to avoid AGMs.

Goal might be to expand battery capacity and solar capacity on year 2, if year 1 works.

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
Sounds cool. Just wondering, if 2 kts is capacity on paper, whether it would make headway/range, with oncoming chop, let alone a current of any measure.

Reactions: Arcb

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much I think. But the range requirement (self imposed) is based on conditions at my town boat launch. The furthest lock with Parks Canada charging station in 13.39 miles. This has always been considered full day trips for us.

It's a slack water system. When designing the first phase of my project I considered the specific limitations of; the Rideau Canal, 1000 Islands and Ottawa River. Which is 100% of where we use the boat in any normal season. I have found it's easier to car top my sailing canoe for further away trips. Goal is to make propulsion system transferable to sailing canoe.

So current tends not to be a serious issue. But yes, a strong head wind could force my hand to choose a different destination.

So far, the only cruise we have planned for next year is maybe 220 km/2 week trip from home to Montreal,where I will stash my motorcycle to recover van and trailer and trailer boat home from. This will be our test cruise. I have selected it to avoid head winds or currents. But will give me a fair test of the system so I know what has to change.

Nothing is really inboard, so I can swap out components I am not happy with for limited expense, well, except for the Dakota Batteries, they cost a small fortune :)

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just discovered the Torqeedo Travel 503.

This looks in every way better than a Minnkota running off litium ion battery.

I can also charge it off my current AGM or directly off solar.

Only draws 4 amps at 2 knots.

So change of plan. 100 watts of solar, charging my current AGM, and also charging the Torqeedo. No need to an add a Dakota Battery.

Love it when there is an off the shelf solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts