SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm spending a week at Cape May this summer, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth trailering my Hunter 146 down with me.

I gather Delaware Bay is not a place to sail small boats. The Hunter 146 is a little sloop that weighs 350 lbs, is 14 1/2' long. Both the centerboard and the rudder are on pivots, so you can literally sail it onto the beach. I've used it for many years on Barnegat Bay and at Spruce Run, but a it's bit of a haul from Cape May to those places -- even on vacation.

So where do you sail little boats around Cape May? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
11,811 Posts
I lived in Ocean City NJ for 18 years. Substantial large water though sallow in the Bays behind the island.
Perfect for your boat.

I had a Hobie 16 on the beach in front of my house there and many times we came through the inlet and sailed the bays there.

If it’s Cape May it’s Ocean or Delaware Bay. The Bay is sailable just be a weather/ wind watcher. Wind vs Delaware River current equals large square waves a 3 second intervals😀

·
11,811 Posts
PS

I kept my first keelboat for 8 years in Barnegat Bay, a perfect place for it. Island Magic. A 28 Islander.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A small boat may not have a motor with enough power to get back into Cape May inlet from the Ocean and will be limited to transiting the inlet at slack only.

On the Delaware Bay side this is not a big issue. Launch from the ramp at Bayway Marina Rt 47 at Bidwell Creek. The creek is tidal but the current is manageable on a small boat. The bay between Cape May Point and the Maurice River to Bidwell Creek is a great sailing area.

Launching from Cape May Harbor will involve a current dependent transit of the Cape May Canal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts