SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone looking for a compact, waterproof digital camera to use on your boat, the Olympus Stylus 1050 SW is on sale with a 2 GB card for just $172.

It's a 10.1 MP camera with 3.0x optical zoom. I've got the older model, a 1030 SW, which I use on my boat as a day-to-day boat camera. Waterproof to 30' or so too.

For more info, click HERE

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I'd seen that camera (or another model of the same) about a year ago and couldn't remember what it was called.

It's a dynamite little item.

I'm going to buy one to supplement my Nikon D-300 for adverse weather applications.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Hey SD,

Do you know much about that vendor? I'm not familiar with "dealmac". Are they reputable in your experience? thanks.

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts
Looks like a winner!

I recently purchased the Olympus 1030 SW, closer to $400 with the extra battery pack, charger and 4G card.

It is 10.3 MP and looks a bit more rugged than the model shown, it also is rated to 33' underwater instead of 10' like the SW 1050.

I have been very happy with the 1030, it's been snorkeling also 300' up on my kite camera rig!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
For anyone looking for a compact, waterproof digital camera to use on your boat, the Olympus Stylus 1050 SW is on sale with a 2 GB card for just $172.

It's a 10.1 MP camera with 3.0x optical zoom. I've got the older model, a 1030 SW, which I use on my boat as a day-to-day boat camera. Waterproof to 30' or so too.

For more info, click HERE
Can you take it snorkeling? Or is that not really a good use for it?

- CD

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I got a Sealife camera for diving and snorkeling. Went dead after one dive trip where we went no deeper than 55 ft (nowhere near the 130ft. limit for the camera). Sent it to the shop for the warranty work and it still isnt fixed. A waste of money.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealmac isn't the vendor... Newegg.com is... and they're a vendor I've used for over five years, and quite good IMHO.

Hey SD,

Do you know much about that vendor? I'm not familiar with "dealmac". Are they reputable in your experience? thanks.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you can use it snorkeling... at least the 1030 SW can be... I don't own the 1050, so can't speak for it personally.

Can you take it snorkeling? Or is that not really a good use for it?

- CD

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dog - I bought the 1030 also about a month ago. Its a great camera for on the boat use. And I can actually see the LCD screen in the sun with sun glasses on. I think Doggie is right, the 1050 is less robust than the 1030.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked Olympus's website...the 1050 is good for 10', like some of the earlier models were... the 1030 is good for 33'. ;) The 1030 is also shock proof to 6.5' rather than just 5', and rated as crushproof with a weight rating of 220 lbs, which the 1050 isn't. The 1030 also has a slightly greater zoom range, 3.6x versus 3.0x on the 1050.

Still, not a bad camera, and can take most of what using it on a boat will throw at it...

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts
Crushproof it is, sat on it several times, luckily I am not even close to approaching the 220 lb. rating!

Really happy with the SW 1030, got a 5 year unlimited extended warranty also for like $49.00

I also bought the silicone cover, keeps it from sliding around and getting dinged/scratched and probably helps with the waterproof capability as well.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where'd you get the silicone cover??? I'd love to get one for my camera. :)

BTW, should know about the ST60 this weekend. :)

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've go ta Pentax Optio W-60 underwaer camera and love it. I've had mine for about 2 years now and zero problems. It's just like the Olypmus except it only goes to 13ft underwater... but it'll also save your pocket book a little bit so if your not looking to dive thsi is a great camera, also take great pic's out of water and everywhere in between.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Travis—

I have the Pentax Optio, which was the first boat camera I had. :)

I've go ta Pentax Optio W-60 underwaer camera and love it. I've had mine for about 2 years now and zero problems. It's just like the Olypmus except it only goes to 13ft underwater... but it'll also save your pocket book a little bit so if your not looking to dive thsi is a great camera, also take great pic's out of water and everywhere in between.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GUI-

I'd recommend the 1030 SW for you... I'll find a good price for it and send you a PM with the price. :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you can swim at 14 knots... I'll be really, really, really, impressed... :)
OK...thanks....

I can then add underwater photos of my boat sailing!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts