SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 18 gallon diesel tank feeding my Yanmar which sips about a quarter of a gallon an hour at 3000 RPM. For the bay sailing I do, I wouldn't go through 18 gallons in four or five years! I would like to switch two a small (5 or 6 gallon) plastic tank. This would allow me to keep the fuel fresher, and I could keep the tank topped off to avoid condensation, without storing 18 Gallons. I could also pull the tank out to clean it. Less weight, fresher fuel, whats not to like? I can leave the larger tank in place in case the boat is cruised in the future, and simply switch the lines to the smaller tank. The problem is that I don't find tanks this small set up with a return line for diesel. surely others have done this. If so, how, and were did you find the tank? I assume I could add fittings, but would prefer to find a tank already set up if possible.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I don't remember the details but at the Newport boat show the new Sabre made a big deal about having two tanks and the ability to switch between them.
A modification to brand new tank shouldn't be too hard. No danger of fire anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plastic-mart (add a dot com on the end...I can't because I dont' have ten posts yet) is an online retailer that sells tanks. They have a 6 gallon fuel tank that may work. It is available in black or natural. From the looks of things they put whatever fittings you want on it. Price is $90. I have thought of doing what you plan as well. I have an 18 gallon aluminum tank that was leaking at was repaired by the previous owner. I had to clean diesel out of the bilge, which wasn't pleasant and left me with a haz mat problem to boot as I now have twenty gallons of aqueous waste to dispose of properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts