SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
SWMBO hated our old yamaha no- recoil- point-and-shoot 2 stroke. She hated the process of choke, throttle speed, wrap-and-rip, try again, try again, try again... so, it had to go. Last season we got a great deal on a 2006 suzuki 4 stroke 2.5 hp. Small, quiet, fuel efficient, most importantly, light- less than 30 lbs (their 4 is essentially the same size,and only about 4-5 lbs heavier.) It starts first pull, runs for an hour on the built-in- tank, and twist grip throttle rather than the "dimmer switch" throttle on the motor housing, and most importantly, has neutral- no more point and shoot.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah we has an old 3.5 nissan. Hated mixing fuel, and one day it just stopped working. It was 35 years old, but whatever. Had the dimmer switch too.
Will like neutral, and in the interm we will drop the 9.9 on there if we need it.
Hopefully I can buy the boat today.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I don't think I have seen anyone here use an electric start on anything smaller than 15 hp. If the engine is properly tuned and the choke used judiciously starting should not be a huge problem.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Mercury made a 7.5 with electric start any smaller than that would likely need modifications to use a friction start motor just like the larger rc aircraft

·
Registered
547 Posts
SWMBO hated our old yamaha no- recoil- point-and-shoot 2 stroke. She hated the process of choke, throttle speed, wrap-and-rip, try again, try again, try again... so, it had to go. Last season we got a great deal on a 2006 suzuki 4 stroke 2.5 hp. Small, quiet, fuel efficient, most importantly, light- less than 30 lbs (their 4 is essentially the same size,and only about 4-5 lbs heavier.) It starts first pull, runs for an hour on the built-in- tank, and twist grip throttle rather than the "dimmer switch" throttle on the motor housing, and most importantly, has neutral- no more point and shoot.
This. I've got the 2014 4 stroke version of this motor and my 11 year old can start it (and carry it) without issue. It's got pretty high compression, so it's best to pull the cord like you mean it but it doesn't require a lot of strength.

·
Superior Sailor
1,031 Posts
I'm behind the times. I just picked up a 3 hp 2 stroke off e-bay....

24 lbs auto clutch twist throttle...after a thorough clean up of tank, lines, filter and carb starts on one pull, and half a pull when warm....

smooth recoil, minimal feel of compression, I think the wife willl be able to start this one...she cannot start the 15 hp 4 stroke main OB....

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
We've got a two stroke eight hp. The Wombet is not a big woman but she has no trouble starting the thing. As Killarney notes, keeping it in tune is the key.

(Nonethless I'd swap it for a four hp four stroke in a flash. The thing simply weighs too much for ease of handling.)

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I think the Torqeedo is really worth a look, I believe you have a generator so charging it should be trivial. They are a bit more than a gas motor, but if you can get away without having to have gasoline, all the better. Many people under estimate the dangers of gasoline, especially when it is just for an outboard. You likely have no properly vented compartments to store it in, and the fumes are both explosive and poisonous. It has such a short shelf life as well. Seems if you are looking for a small outboard the electric ones will be sufficient in power and there is no starting required. I am also curious about the Lehr propane powered outboards, as you likely will have a vented locker for that, or it is easy enough to install a PVC tube with a drain out the bottom to let any gas escape overboard.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the Torqeedo is really worth a look, I believe you have a generator so charging it should be trivial. They are a bit more than a gas motor, but if you can get away without having to have gasoline, all the better. Many people under estimate the dangers of gasoline, especially when it is just for an outboard. You likely have no properly vented compartments to store it in, and the fumes are both explosive and poisonous. It has such a short shelf life as well. Seems if you are looking for a small outboard the electric ones will be sufficient in power and there is no starting required. I am also curious about the Lehr propane powered outboards, as you likely will have a vented locker for that, or it is easy enough to install a PVC tube with a drain out the bottom to let any gas escape overboard.
The previous owner had one, and also a 6HP engine. He recommended the torquedo too. Will have to wait until I find one used for a good price. I can charge from solar too, so that will be a plus.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I was reading the site, and the travel 1003 puts out 68# of thrust, why not just buy this:
MotorGuide R3 Saltwater Transom-Mount Trolling Motor | Bass Pro Shops
with 55# of thrust? Or something like it?
would it be just as fast, ect?
These work well, and you could even perhaps get a couple of Lithium motorcycle batteries to power it. Like the one here (they start at about $80)

Home - Shorai Lithium Batteries

but one has to wonder how durable this setup would be. If you want to try it out, I have heard of lots of folks using non salt water ones in the salt.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I was thinking used. Have seen 50# units for about $50. For batteries I think I would grab two group 27's, and leave them in, secured in boxes, charged by a cable, with a selector switch.
Going to keep my eyes open for a 4hp 4 stroke thou, I think that would be ideal.

There is an odd Chinese one on ebay for $400 brand new. Will research that one more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts