SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

bell ringer
I was given 1 for my birthday. It works etc. but I always worry than holding my phone in the air while the boat is rocking etc is asking for the phone to slip out of my hand and go overboard.

If I were to buy a handheld I would just get a regular hand held meter instead of a phone appl

Registered

Freedom isn't free
The Beaufort Scale is free... simple to use, and probably WAY more accurate than the microphone wind speed indicator on your smartphone. Spend $0.99 that towards Navionics for your smartphone.

██▓▓▒▒░&
The Dwyer has to be faced square into the wind. if it is not, the speed will be off. The gizmo doesn't care about direction. The Dwyer is too dumb to fail. As long as you clean it out from time to time (salt crystals will clog it) it will work forever. Or until you step on it. The gizmo? About the same, but easier to damage. You can sit on a Dwyer, I wouldn't try that on the gizmo.

The dedicated electronic windmeters suffer from the same problems, they mostly have to be faced square into the wind. So a masthead wind sensor, which is not sensitive to direction and is always reading the cleaner faster air up there, is still nice to have.

Although there are also telltales that are weighted, used to measure wind speed in long distance rifle competition. If 1 or 2 or 3 segments are all streaming, that's one that comes up for each boost in wind speed. You could fiddle around with woolies and cassette tapes to get the same effect if you were really bored. Thin cassette tape always streams. Thick VHS tape, needs more wind.(G)

Registered
The Dwyer has to be faced square into the wind. if it is not, the speed will be off. The gizmo doesn't care about direction. The Dwyer is too dumb to fail. As long as you clean it out from time to time (salt crystals will clog it) it will work forever. Or until you step on it. The gizmo? About the same, but easier to damage. You can sit on a Dwyer, I wouldn't try that on the gizmo.

The dedicated electronic windmeters suffer from the same problems, they mostly have to be faced square into the wind. So a masthead wind sensor, which is not sensitive to direction and is always reading the cleaner faster air up there, is still nice to have...
I agree that masthead transducer is far superior for many reasons.

The Windmate model that I linked has a little built-in vane to so you can easily point it into the wind by eye. That particular model also has a built-in digital compass so when you're pointing into the wind, it will give you the direction along with the speed. It also gives temperature and wind chill. They have cheaper models that lack the compass, and more expensive models that give additional weather data.

The Windmate is useful to have when you need it, but I have not used it much - only a few times a year. I plan to get a masthead unit once the new model I have my eye on starts shipping.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't get the point of this. "For the man who has iEverything and will buy iAnything"???.......
Don't underestimate the number of people that must have a high tech solution for every low tech problem.

I've seen plenty of open sourced hardware/software contraptions around here that are touted to be must have compared to $10 no brainer apps.

Registered
FYI, it wasn't my intention to ridicule you, or anyone else who wants to buy this product. But when I first saw those things a couple years ago, and they were priced more than a dedicated handheld anemometer, I did think it seemed a bit odd to risk losing your phone overboard to get the wind speed.

For all I know, the software may have some really useful features that you can't get with a dedicated handheld. If you buy it, let us know what you think!

Registered
The dedicated electronic windmeters suffer from the same problems, they mostly have to be faced square into the wind. So a masthead wind sensor, which is not sensitive to direction and is always reading the cleaner faster air up there, is still nice to have.
I've got the Windtronic 2. It's pretty neat, and does not need to face directly to the wind.

Of course it has all the limitations of any wind measurement at deck level.

Windtronic 2 Wind Meter - The Accurate Wind Gauge!

old guy :)
The Beerfort Scale

Force 0: Sails hanging limp. Tiller tends itself.

Force 1: Beginning pressure on sails. If sheet is eased out, the tiller still tends itself.

Force 2: Sails flapping in the breeze, and boat drifting to leeward. Sheets must be tightened and one hand put on the tiller. As the wind fills the sails, the boat heels. Case of beer must be placed on cockpit floor.

Force 3: The beer may be knocked over and must be supported or held in hand.

Force 4: Empty bottles rolling against each other on cockpit floor. Must be thrown over side.

Force 5: All beer streaming behind boat must be hauled in.

Force 6: Nobody can hold onto more than one beer at a time.

Force 7: The case of beer slides back and forth on cockpit floor. One person must be appointed to sit on it.

Force 8: Bottles can still be opened by one person. Beginning of difficulties pouring into the mouth without spilling.

Force 9: Bottle must be held with two hands. Only experts can get the cap off by themselves.

Force 10: Two people required to open bottles. Empties must be thrown to leeward only. Very difficult to find mouth. Some teeth may be knocked loose.

Force 11: The beer tends to foam out of bottle. Very difficult to drink. Lips split and teeth fall out.

Force 12: All open bottles foam. Impossible to drink. Temporary abstinence may be required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts