SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Reaction score
They are right about the bleach, and about using it sparingly.

If you are concerned about the bleach you can also use hydrogen peroxide to kill smells and it is harmless to most pipes and such, as well as wildlife, etc. You want to use the standard drugstore 30% active type, use generously, and let it sit for a little while. It's not quite as aggressive as bleach, so you may have to repeat.

Trust me, I'm an R&D chemist for a company that makes cleaning supplies and deodorizers...

· Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Reaction score
The "standard drugstore" hydrogen peroxide is 3%, not 30% H2O2 in an aqueous solution. However, you can get ~30% hydrogen peroxide that is marketed as a "cleaning solution" (rather than as a topical antiseptic) at some hardware stores, hydroponics supply outlets, aquarium shops, etc. Strong solutions will burn the skin, and are probably about as dangerous as household bleach. Industrial grade peroxides (including >30% hydrogen peroxide) can be downright nasty to use, and should be avoided unless you have some experience with such chemicals.
Holy crap! I totally fat-fingered that! PLEASE don't use 30%, you are right retail is 3%.

Did I say trust me? LOL. Sorry. TGIF.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.