SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be hauling the boat in the next couple of weeks for a bottom job. I will be applying modified epoxy bottom paint and need tips for application that will require the least amount of sanding afterword for a smooth finish.

This will be my first epoxy bottom job. The PO had a hard finish applied but the orange peel was so bad I thought it had the pox. I don't want to repeat the procedure it required to make that smooth. Spraying is out of the question in SoCal unless I have the yard do it (~$55/ft). I am a very experienced painter, just need some informed guidance so I can reduce the amount of expensive paint I ruin by the trial and error method.

Thanks

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,119 Posts
Its usuall the work you do BEFORE you apply the paint that determines how good the result will be. Get the hull fair before painting, and if you apply the paint in good painting conditions, you should be all set after one coat. A few days of diligent sanding with a nice 3M long board and you should be ready to paint.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SF

Sounds like I should be good if the epoxy is applied over a properly prepaired hull.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Not really, at least from what I've seen. But it depends on the temperature too...
Does epoxy antifouling flow enough to roll and tip?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Interlux micron has a brushing reducer and there is NO way you can do it that smooth without using a thinner because it drys So fast out of the can even at 60 deg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts