SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My name is Josh. I'm new to the forum, and an amateur sailor. I was at a marine consignment shop today, and i bought a Snapfurl CF500 system for $100. It was barely used, and came with all the hardware and the extrusions.

The only problem is the jibs on my San Juan 24 are not furling jibs. Unfortunately I don't have thousands of dollars to drop on a new furling jib. Is there any way to get my jib which has piston hanks, to fit in the Snapfurl's feeder track??

I was thinking about using sail slugs, but I couldn't find any small enough. The extrusion track is about a quarter inch in diameter.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have just done the same thing - installed a 700 snap furl. Just take your jib to a sailmaker/repair shop and get them to install a luff wire strip. It sews on over the sail and is not real expensive (but probably more than what you paid for the furler - had to buy mine new.) You will love it although mine was a tough job to install.
Also if you want the sail protected from UV when furled the sailmaker can install a UV strip too. (I didn't get it on the old jib I had changed over as it was going to be more than it was worth to me.)

Reactions: jzak

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks "norahs arc" for the great feedback! I would do exactly what you said, if I was living back in Seattle. I used to live right across the lake from North Sails, and they did some repairs and alterations before.

Unfortunately, I now live on the North Carolina coast. A place where sailing is about as foreign to most people as french food is. There's not a single sailmaker/repairer for probably 500 miles. It's all ******** with powerboats around here. :D

There are plenty of marine service places in town, but if you ask them about sailboats, they'll look at you as if you had a third eye.

I've looked at some surplus sail web sites, and there where quoting me somewhere around $300 for a basic dacron furling sail with a 28' luff in good condition. It seems like that would be the cheaper/faster option, but please let me know!

Thanks!

By the way, is there any chance a #6 luff tape could fit into a #5 slot? The CF500 is rated for #5, but those jibs are much harder to come by.

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Thanks "norahs arc" for the great feedback! I would do exactly what you said, if I was living back in Seattle. I used to live right across the lake from North Sails, and they did some repairs and alterations before.

Unfortunately, I now live on the North Carolina coast. A place where sailing is about as foreign to most people as french food is. There's not a single sailmaker/repairer for probably 500 miles. It's all ******** with powerboats around here. :D

There are plenty of marine service places in town, but if you ask them about sailboats, they'll look at you as if you had a third eye.

I've looked at some surplus sail web sites, and there where quoting me somewhere around $300 for a basic dacron furling sail with a 28' luff in good condition. It seems like that would be the cheaper/faster option, but please let me know!

Thanks!

By the way, is there any chance a #6 luff tape could fit into a #5 slot? The CF500 is rated for #5, but those jibs are much harder to come by.
I have a Snapfurl 500 on my Morgan 24. In the Snapfurl instructions they strongly emphasize "Only a good" #5 luff tape will work properly.....believe them...! and....no..... a #6 luff tape will not substitute.... a bad # 5 is enough trouble !
properly installed and maintained with a halyard retainer and a properly tuned forestay your Snapfurl 500 will
serve you well. But....there is a price you pay for the convenience of that furler...and that is the ver real possibility it will jam or fail in a critical moment when you most need to "drop" that genny....do not take shortcuts with that furler....speaking from experience!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts