SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya everyone. I have recently come to own an older (1961) Snipe that is in surprisingly good shape for a 50 odd year old wood boat. Anyhow, the centerboard is missing. I have done a little research and i have seen ones made from 1/4" plate steel and newer ones in 3/8" aluminum. The slot for the board is roughly 3/8" wide.

I dont intend to race this snipe, but does anyone have pictures or plans for an older snipe centerboard? Ideally I would like the heaviest most stable centerboard, so would filling the slot with a 3/8" steel board be feasible? :confused:

Ill post some pictures in a few hours.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I have an old aluminum centerboard for a wood snipe and no boat to put it in will dig it out and measure it

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an old aluminum centerboard for a wood snipe and no boat to put it in will dig it out and measure it
Thank you! All I need is a Picture of it with a ruler/tape measure on some edge of it. That makes it super easy to import into CAD.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Even if you don't intend to race the snipe it is worth checking in with your local racers to get used gear. You can probably find sails, board, rudder, and other parts for good prices as racers have upgraded.

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bugger, not enough posts to throw up some pictures of the boat. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm probably geographicaly prohibitive, but I have one and possibly two aluminum centerboards made for a Snipe. One, curved leading edge-the other straightedge on slant (racing?). Have two wooden masts for Snipe (deep yellow color)--one fully rigged, the other a spare. Both stored indoors. Boat (no longer exists) was constructed in Portugal. Approximate purchase timeline, early 1970s.
Unfortunately I am near Atlanta GA.

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize for not posting this earlier, on the snipe.org site which I dont have a high enough post count to link to, there is a spec sheet with dimensions for the snipe centerboard. I printed it out and took it to a steelyard and had them cut it out of 3/8" steel plate on their shear. It cost me 119 dollars, or they could have cut it out of the factory 1/4 sheet for 98 dollars. The one I had cut is a bit heavier than the factory 1/4 plate, but it should help make the boat a little more stable in novice hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts