SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya everyone. I have recently come to own an older (1961) Snipe that is in surprisingly good shape for a 50 odd year old wood boat. Anyhow, the centerboard is missing. I have done a little research and i have seen ones made from 1/4" plate steel and newer ones in 3/8" aluminum. The slot for the board is roughly 3/8" wide.

I dont intend to race this snipe, but does anyone have pictures or plans for an older snipe centerboard? Ideally I would like the heaviest most stable centerboard, so would filling the slot with a 3/8" steel board be feasible? :confused:

Ill post some pictures in a few hours.

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an old aluminum centerboard for a wood snipe and no boat to put it in will dig it out and measure it
Thank you! All I need is a Picture of it with a ruler/tape measure on some edge of it. That makes it super easy to import into CAD.

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bugger, not enough posts to throw up some pictures of the boat. :(

·
New Snipe owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apologize for not posting this earlier, on the snipe.org site which I dont have a high enough post count to link to, there is a spec sheet with dimensions for the snipe centerboard. I printed it out and took it to a steelyard and had them cut it out of 3/8" steel plate on their shear. It cost me 119 dollars, or they could have cut it out of the factory 1/4 sheet for 98 dollars. The one I had cut is a bit heavier than the factory 1/4 plate, but it should help make the boat a little more stable in novice hands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts