SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may be up to a foot of snow here by tomorrow. Went down yesterday to tarp the boat, but I noticed that only one other boat in the marina was tarped?
With the temps down in the teens for about 48 hours, can I expect the stuffing box to freeze? Could this be a problem?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Cooling water in the engine freezing is a bigger concern. Unless the water at your stuffing box (which is 6-8" under water most likely) gets below the freezing point is unlikely that the stuffing box will freeze.

When we have below salt water freezing temps here (that is 28F) I put an extra "dehumidifier" (really a small heater) onboard and keep it in the engine compartment. Last time we had a serious cold snap it didn't get below about 45 on my boat.

There have been many threads on this subject this winter, I recommend searching for them.

·
Dirt Free
2,756 Posts
At the very least I'd get some heat on that engine block or even better winterize the engine. A new block and or exhaust manifold is expensive. If you have a water lift muffler, that too is at risk.

Make sure you bilges are dry. A frozen bilge pump is useless.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
First, I would definitely winterize the engine today. Next two nights are going to be very cold (teens or low twenties on the NC coast) and you are likely to damage something if you don't.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
If he's lucky, water temperatures were in the 40's or so, which will help but winterizing the engine, or stuffing a space heater into the engine compartment would greatly enhance his chances.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Current water temperatures on NC coast are in the upper 30's but that does not protect the engine which is above water in a very cold air pocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts