SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So added myself to yet another forum group. One never knows what gems of information he might gain or new friends to be made.

I've been a sail boat owner for 2.5 yrs now. It's my first and only boat unless you also count the tender I had to buy to get out to my mooring. Used to just sail with mates.

The boat is 26ft. Called a Cole 26 and designed by a chap named Peter Cole from Australia. Peter designed many well regarded boats and although now getting close to 80 yrs old is/was well regarded in the boating fraternity.

Mychael

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Welcome, Mipcar:

Pretty boat...

Where are you from?

David

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello!

Yeah, that learning curve is prety steep the first couple of years being an owner isn't it?

what is the sailing like in your area?

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that learning curve is prety steep the first couple of years being an owner isn't it?

what is the sailing like in your area?

Fortunately I used to play with aircraft and old cars so some things I picked up pretty well from a maintenance aspect. Fibreglass however is all new to me, in fact looking for recommendations for "books for dummies" on that subject.

Sailing with mates for many yrs. helped but still not the same as being on your own boat where the responsibility of decisions rests with you and your crew are less experienced the you are.

I sail out of Westernport Bay, it's scenic (well I think so) but very governed by the tides as to which way you will sail on a particular day. It's not especially wide so you never get nice long runs on a single tack and at low tide you have to be careful where you go. If you get the wind and tides in your favour you can get yourself out into Bass Strait in a few hours for some offshore sailing experience.
Having said that you can get some spirited sailing when the wind is up and there are several yacht clubs and marinas around the place.

Mychael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts