SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a 1984 McGregor 65.... For free.

This is the boat in question. He knows nothing about sailing. He wants my help moving it. I a decent sailor but A: I've never gone offshore, or even real coastal, B; I don't know much about navigating this area, C the condition of the boat is to be assumed dangerous. D I've never sailed a boat this big! And of course E the motor doesn't run!!!

So my friend who is kind of a dockhead (replace letter where appropriate ) has been picking up boats for a while and storing them trying to flip them etc, but he's just taken it to the next level. He's convinced he'll be able to keep it at anchor in biscuNe bay. Even at dinner key where no one would bother him I don't think he could find a spot for his 9' draft. At 70' mast height (maybe even higher clearance?) I don't think he can do the ICW at all so it's out into the big Atlantic and down to Miami!

Any thought? PrayerS! My best idea is to tow a life preserving dinghy, do what we can but be ready to jump ship!
Anyone want to help us out in any way? Is this at least a decent boat?
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1984-Macgregor-65-673137

·
19,489 Posts
That boat is a mess.. my advice is to run the other way. Don't get involved.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
From the linked ad: " 52 hp Yanmar diesel engine (currently not working)".

Wanna take a guess as to what else is not working? Several heads, hydraulic winches, anchor windlass for starters. New sails or even used sails for this beast will cost thousands of $$$$$.

This is kind of an odd (ugly) duck offering. MacGregor made their money by building cheaply made niche boats, mostly 26' or less in length. They made 24 of the basic M65 sloop until 1987 and 75 of the pilot house versions until 1995 MACGREGOR 65 PILOT HOUSE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
you can look up the basic M65 sloop on that site too to see that they only made 24 of them.
They made just under 100 of those boats because they could only find fewer than 100 people stupid enough to buy a luxury sailboat from a niche, discount boat maker.
Please don't get me wrong on this either, I am not a MacGregor basher; there are many happy sailors that own the smaller models of boat from this company which are all 26' or less in length - some of these I have sailed on. The M65 is an anomaly, enigma, pipe dream, odd duck, perhaps desperate idea by MacGregor to grab more high end market share. Now if it were a Swann or Hinckley or some other upscale brand with many other large boats under their belts it might be actually worth something.
Full disclosure: I have never been aboard one but this one does sound like a heap of headaches if it is being offered for free. There are so many complex systems on a boat like that that could cost hundreds of thousands to fix.
Fart Louderdale is not that far from Miami though, about 100 miles or more. If you could get the engine working and reliable and the anchor windlass and some electronics you could fairly easily motor it to Miami in a longish day. A 65' boat can cruise at a fairly good speed. It would also be nice to be able to raise some sail so make sure the hydraulic winches and sails are ok otherwise you are motoring all the way. I'm not advising that you do this, I'm just sayin'.
I'm with Faster on this one: run far and fast.

<

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the linked ad: " 52 hp Yanmar diesel engine (currently not working)".

Wanna take a guess as to what else is not working? Several heads, hydraulic winches, anchor windlass for starters. New sails or even used sails for this beast will cost thousands of $$$$$.

This is kind of an odd (ugly) duck offering. MacGregor made their money by building cheaply made niche boats, mostly 26' or less in length. They made 24 of the basic M65 sloop until 1987 and 75 of the pilot house versions until 1995 MACGREGOR 65 PILOT HOUSE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
you can look up the basic M65 sloop on that site too to see that they only made 24 of them.
They made just under 100 of those boats because they could only find fewer than 100 people stupid enough to buy a luxury sailboat from a niche, discount boat maker.
Please don't get me wrong on this either, I am not a MacGregor basher; there are many happy sailors that own the smaller models of boat from this company which are all 26' or less in length - some of these I have sailed on. The M65 is an anomaly, enigma, pipe dream, odd duck, perhaps desperate idea by MacGregor to grab more high end market share. Now if it were a Swann or Hinckley or some other upscale brand with many other large boats under their belts it might be actually worth something.
Full disclosure: I have never been aboard one but this one does sound like a heap of headaches if it is being offered for free. There are so many complex systems on a boat like that that could cost hundreds of thousands to fix.
Fart Louderdale is not that far from Miami though, about 100 miles or more. If you could get the engine working and reliable and the anchor windlass and some electronics you could fairly easily motor it to Miami in a longish day. A 65' boat can cruise at a fairly good speed. It would also be nice to be able to raise some sail so make sure the hydraulic winches and sails are ok otherwise you are motoring all the way. I'm not advising that you do this, I'm just sayin'.
I'm with Faster on this one: run far and fast.

<
That boat is a mess.. my advice is to run the other way. Don't get involved.
Let's be clear here it's not my boat technically it's not even my friends boat until he puts it in his name it's not my problem either I'm just a Skipper a friend with a boating license is willing to help him move it I'm just wondering if it can be done And if I can do it without killing myself or syncing the boat, but then again even if I do whatever unfortunate but I'll get over it hopefully my friend will. it does have an emergency liferaft just in case thank you for your input

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
973 Posts
Let's be clear here it's not my boat technically it's not even my friends boat until he puts it in his name it's not my problem either I'm just a Skipper a friend with a boating license is willing to help him move it I'm just wondering if it can be done And if I can do it without killing myself or syncing the boat, but then again even if I do whatever unfortunate but I'll get over it hopefully my friend will. it does have an emergency liferaft just in case thank you for your input
Puh-leeze. You're both sounding a little loony and you've actually just answered your own question. Reread what you just wrote, then do what's right and advise your friend (as a friend and an experienced sailor should do) to quit this before something really stupid happens. The Coast Guard has enough things to do :eek

·
Registered
795 Posts
9 ft draft does not work in Biscayne Bay. My boat draws 7 ft 8in and even with local knowledge we touch bottom and ground, when anchored, at low tide. You would just be adding to the derelict boats in the Bay even if you could sail it through the channels into the Bay.

·
Registered
21,625 Posts
Is this a trick question? That vessel is not seaworthy. Do you know the condition of the sails and standing rigging you'll risk your life standing beneath? Has the included liferaft been appropriately maintained and recertified? Have you ever tried to fix a problem with jammed sails underway on a 70ft mast? (I have, ain't fun and I had a working motor and autopilot to keep us into the wind)

I'm willing to bet that hull needs $100k worth of work to make seaworthy. More to make it saleable. A dingy or liferaft as part of plan A about says it all.

You're a good friend to even consider it, but fake a heart attack and get out of it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Evidently these boats sail pretty fast. A friend of mine lost a Bermuda race to one of these many years back. Weird looking long and narrow. Anyway.

Given the description of the boat condition, I wouldn't care if it was a Swan, Hinckley, or and Oyster, I wouldn't put my paper on the line to move it from one mooring to another in the same mooring field.

One good thought experiment before any delivery is to imagine yourself calling the CG when things go wrong.

"CG, this is ....., we are hard aground and our mast is wrapped around a bridge. I figured without and engine and with all sorts of other stuff broken, and a draft that exceeds the chart, and an air draft that exceeds the bridges, we'd have no problems delivering it to..."

Sorry to pile on, but don't go!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can't even get into Biscayne Bay through Government Cut, MacArthur is 65'. Entrance at No Name has draft issues. Towing is the only sane option...and, as others have said, run away!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Making a comment to track this thread. I taught my grand kids there is no such thing as a free puppy. Pretty sure the same goes for boats. You got caller ID right?
When your friend calls, DON'T ANSWER! This has disaster written all over it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Aw c'mon! This forum has gotten soooo booorrrring lately. Just when someone comes around with something interesting, all the naysayers shut him down. HMSVictory, you got this! And make sure to come back and tell us how it went.

·
Registered
21,625 Posts
The OP asked for thoughts and prayers. They know exactly how bad an idea this is. Folks that say go for it would presumably volunteer to accompany your dockhead friend on the trip. Let's see how serious they are.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Aside from all that was already said, this looks like so much WORK. I groan when I get a dust bunny on my 30' boat. Docking and maneuvering seem like an adventure as well, then think about the liability. What if you hit someone's $1M yacht?

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Well some people see problems others solutions.

Bad news the bottom will be foul but a diver can fix that in a morning.

No engine is bad news. Assuming your friend wants to sell it eventually fixing/replacing the engine is something that has to be done. But even with a broke engine using a big RIB say 30 hp and a hip tow will get her out onto the ocean and back in at the other end. Tow the RIB on passage. Also it is your liferaft.

Bad news 9 ft draft means the ICW is out. So you have to leave through one of the deep exits and sail to where you are going.

Good news big Macs sail really well. So with some sails not necessarily the right ones but near will do you can get her moving and with a E wind she will be doing well. So you need to have a hard look at what sails are there and are they serviceable for a delivery. If not then Atlantic Sail Traders may have something near that will do.

You would need to inspect the rigging before you leave. SO at least one member of the crew needs some rigging experience and needs to go up the mast and have a hard look at everything.

But it would be a pity just to move her to Biscayne bay and join the other derelicts. Bi Macs make nice cruising boats, just ask Mr Curly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As a friend, I'd want to go over the boat closely with your friend, showing everything that is obviously wrong with it. Perhaps that will persuade them not to risk their life, and those of the people that will attempt to save them. If it is better than feared, then I would want the engine fixing and to study the charts to see if it is even feasible with that draft.

Free can be very tempting, but big boats take big money and even more when they've been let-go.

Roger

·
Barquito
3,475 Posts
The advice from most on this forum, if you were looking to buy this boat would be NO WAY. That should probably be advice that you pass on to your friend. However, if he is going to take possession of the 'project', you should insist that is at least minimally seaworthy before you go anywhere. Once he starts looking at what it take$ to even get the thing to a safe moorage, he may walk away.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A little internet sleuthing (and a slow day at work) and you can see that Zeus is quite some distance from the nearest inlet. https://goo.gl/maps/4vGzJbYniSv You can even see the boat in the aerial photos on the home's Zillow page. 2824 NE 35th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306 | Zillow Google Earth's time lapse feature suggests the boat has been sitting there since 2005. My guess is that the home sold and the new owners aren't sailors ;-) Sure hope all those bridges are drawbridges! Don't give up HMSVictory. Rise to the challenge! I wanna read about this one.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts