SailNet Community banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
He is asking $33k+ for a sunken hulk!?! Whatever it is that he is on, I think I want some the next time I am feeling bad.

Some people really are completely clueless, aren't they?
He started this adventure dumb as a rock and apparently he is still very much like that now.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
lying privilege?

1985 Macgregor 65 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

ear:
Length:
65'
Engine/Fuel Type:
/

Located In:
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
78490-2975741

Current Price:
US$ 33,500

65' McGregor sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Water/keel/hull damage to be determined. Photos, specs, and additional info coming soon.

Photo shown is sistership, not actual boat.

Selling as salvage as is where is.
That listing agent calls himself a "Licensed Yacht and Ship Salesman" just the act of listing this seems to me a violation of any kind of ethics, given he is trying sell something that will never float again. Seems he could well loose his "license" if there is any kind of review board.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hmm...A brightly colored sinking old hulk of dubious fame appeals to a few morons who think it might be bought as-is and then be made great again is receiving a huuge amount of unwarranted free exposure on multiple popular internet sites.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That listing agent calls himself a "Licensed Yacht and Ship Salesman" just the act of listing this seems to me a violation of any kind of ethics, given he is trying sell something that will never float again. Seems he could well loose his "license" if there is any kind of review board.
I don't see why. He isn't making any representations that aren't true. The broker doesn't decide whether or not to sell the boat. The owner wants it sold, has set a price on it, and has contracted with a broker to list it. My guess would be that the broker thinks the owner is just as bat-crap crazy as we all do, but there's nothing unethical about posting a listing on a boat for sale.

Now, if the broker starts lying about the condition of the boat, or the terms of the sale, then that's a different matter. But just listing a boat that no one in their right mind would buy? Nothing unethical about that.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I don't see why. He isn't making any representations that aren't true. The broker doesn't decide whether or not to sell the boat. The owner wants it sold, has set a price on it, and has contracted with a broker to list it. My guess would be that the broker thinks the owner is just as bat-crap crazy as we all do, but there's nothing unethical about posting a listing on a boat for sale.

Now, if the broker starts lying about the condition of the boat, or the terms of the sale, then that's a different matter. But just listing a boat that no one in their right mind would buy? Nothing unethical about that.
Well his listing is missing quite a few KNOWN things, like the fact that the boat is sunk. Also listing a boat for sale at thousands times it's value is at the very least unprofessional, but certainly is can be viewed as unethical. Since he is representing himself as an expert one would should be able to believe that his listing is somewhat based on reality and trust that the price is in line. At the very least it is making him look to be a broker that would sell anything for a buck. A respectable broker would say I don't want to be associated with that [email protected]

·
n00b
6 Posts
I kept wondering what kind of person just tosses the tow rope and motors away. It's hard to imagine a friend or a payed tow boat doing that, but even if I happened upon a sailor I'd never met in trouble I would never do this.

There is only one explanation; The tow boat operator found out his wife was having an affair, with the guy on the McG!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry about opening an old thread, but I just saw this, and registered so I could post. I was the Primary Driver on this boat for 1-1/2 years when it was racing San Francisco Bay.
And yes, I had to deal with MacGregor Bashers there and then as well.
In 1990 the boat had been heavily modified . . . people are talking here about the 9' draft, hell it had a 9' rudder when I drove it. The keel had been replaced with a 12' blade with a torpedo at the bottom.
Most significantly, the rig had been replaced with much taller, bendy, fractional rig.
My own 26 footer could have fit on Zeus' foredeck.
I joined the crew just before the 1991 SF to Catalina race . . . I think, I am old and retired now, and that was a long time ago.
That was the 25 race - for 25 hours it blew 25kts or higher in 25' seas. Yeah. It was also the only time I drove a Sailboat at 25kts!
We completed the nearly 400 mile race in just under 36 hours, one hour off the record at the time.
During the 25 hour blow, out of a crew of 9, there were only three of us who could handle the boat . . . Drive till you can't, sleep, wake up and drive again.
There were also four Coast Guard Rescues that night, it was a blow.
You know, on a 40' boat, surfing in high seas, you avoid running into the wave ahead, for fear of stalling and spinning out, on Zeus, I used the bow running lights to follow the hollow in the trough. Accelerating upon acceleration, watching the knotmeter climb above 20, watching the rooster tail soaking the boom, listening to what sounded like a combination of fire hoses and tympani, I punched into back the leading wave. I watched from the helm as the boat past through the wave 3' - 4' of water rolling down the deck. I can't imagine what it sounded like below, but the owner rushed up the companionway ladder just in time to have the wave break over his head and pour into the cabin. He turned and glared at me, then looked at the knotmeter, going back up from 22.75kt, turned back to me shaking his head, saying, "You're Reckless", and went back below.
So, you can trash MacGregor65s all you want, all I'll say is, "how fast is your boat?"
And I'll wipe away a tear, when I see the end of a Great Boat.
Rick McCamy

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Sorry about opening an old thread, but I just saw this, and registered so I could post. I was the Primary Driver on this boat for 1-1/2 years when it was racing San Francisco Bay.
And yes, I had to deal with MacGregor Bashers there and then as well.
In 1990 the boat had been heavily modified . . . people are talking here about the 9' draft, hell it had a 9' rudder when I drove it. The keel had been replaced with a 12' blade with a torpedo at the bottom.
Most significantly, the rig had been replaced with much taller, bendy, fractional rig.
My own 26 footer could have fit on Zeus' foredeck.
I joined the crew just before the 1991 SF to Catalina race . . . I think, I am old and retired now, and that was a long time ago.
That was the 25 race - for 25 hours it blew 25kts or higher in 25' seas. Yeah. It was also the only time I drove a Sailboat at 25kts!
We completed the nearly 400 mile race in just under 36 hours, one hour off the record at the time.
During the 25 hour blow, out of a crew of 9, there were only three of us who could handle the boat . . . Drive till you can't, sleep, wake up and drive again.
There were also four Coast Guard Rescues that night, it was a blow.
You know, on a 40' boat, surfing in high seas, you avoid running into the wave ahead, for fear of stalling and spinning out, on Zeus, I used the bow running lights to follow the hollow in the trough. Accelerating upon acceleration, watching the knotmeter climb above 20, watching the rooster tail soaking the boom, listening to what sounded like a combination of fire hoses and tympani, I punched into back the leading wave. I watched from the helm as the boat past through the wave 3' - 4' of water rolling down the deck. I can't imagine what it sounded like below, but the owner rushed up the companionway ladder just in time to have the wave break over his head and pour into the cabin. He turned and glared at me, then looked at the knotmeter, going back up from 22.75kt, turned back to me shaking his head, saying, "You're Reckless", and went back below.
So, you can trash MacGregor65s all you want, all I'll say is, "how fast is your boat?"
And I'll wipe away a tear, when I see the end of a Great Boat.
Rick McCamy
Oh hell yeah!!

121 - 133 of 133 Posts