SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't just muddle in, I dove in. Mind you, I took 6 months but thanks to the ol' internet and a couple of lifelong sailors, I found myself a 36 foot Hunter which I and my gal fell in love with.
Now that I've bought it, I'm excited and nervous. It's like a first date all over but I'm back at the teenage stage where I thought I knew more than I really did.
It has been helpful here going through the threads, both positive for the encouragement and negative which gave me pause.
Hopefully, I'll have custody of the boat within two weeks. Look forward to being a part of the sailing community.
:2 boat:

·
19,489 Posts
Congrats... what year/era Hunter did you get?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 2004 and the only shots I have are from the listing. The Survey Inspection is the 17th and believe me, I'll have photos on that date. I've been out on the boat but wanted to just take it in and not take shots. Plus I was a bit overwhelmed with exactly how much is on a boat of this size. I've sailed 22 footers (catalinas) and also did a couple of weeks over in the Med off the Greek Isles back in the 80s.
Thanks for the well wishes!
One more reason to be retired from the Navy, Marinas are accessable and cheap on em. I'm going to start off at NAS jax and then move to St. Augustine after a bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you haven’t had a survey yet, surely you haven’t actually bought it yet?
If that’s the case, I would suggest you keep your enthusiasm in check, and think very objectively about the results.
Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but there is a saying, “The best times with a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.”
If the survey is good, then go ahead. But if it isn’t, walk. There are plenty of other boats out there.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
973 Posts
Sounds like you've put earnest money down on the boat with the intent to buy, provided the survey is to everyone's satisfaction. If you don't know (and others can chime in who have more experience with this), if the survey shows something is broken or not in the condition that the broker or owner had said it would be when you were considering the boat, then you can renegotiate to either have them fix it or take a certain amount off the sale price. If you are buying the boat on credit, the value the surveyor gives in the report might also affect whether the bank is willing to loan you the amount you had agreed to buy it for, so you might have to come up with a larger down payment. If something is really bad, like spongy deck, evidence of hard grounding on keel, etc., then you might just want to walk away. You should be able to get all the earnest money back, but you would lose the money you paid for the surveyor and for the haul out. But better that than buy a boat with serious issues...

Oh, and boat surveyors might take a quick look at the engine or rigging, but it's my understanding that they don't do a close inspection of these things. I paid for an engine survey, but it was still only a cursory inspection and I wasn't very happy with it though the engine has turned out to be good. Luck was with me.

Good luck to you!! It does seem to be the kind of thing that you just have to jump in with both feet and hope for the best. Send pics :)

·
bell ringer
4,766 Posts
Hopefully, I'll have custody of the boat within two weeks. Look forward to being a part of the sailing community.
:2 boat:
Congrats! A 2004 Hunter 36 should be a fun comfortable little boat to sail around on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All correct on the purchase being contingent on the Survey going ok. Yes it's being pulled out after we first do a test sail/run on it. Even though it had a survey done in May, I'm doing another one cause, well anything can happen in 5 months/6 months.
We are prepared to walk or renegotiate as the case may be, but I'm also prepared to break out the bubbly. Especially as it's the happiest day until she is sold(so yeah, I've heard that one too, as well as Break Out Another Thousand).
We shall see shortly but can't wait to have her and start sailing the St. Johns river to begin with and then off the coast after I get her over to St. Augustine. That begs a question.
Anyone take the ASA classes from Commanche Cove or anywhere else. They charge 595.00 but I'd rather know more than less so I'm going to end up taking them over the next year.
Again, thanks for the words of advice.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
All correct on the purchase being contingent on the Survey going ok. Yes it's being pulled out after we first do a test sail/run on it. Even though it had a survey done in May, I'm doing another one cause, well anything can happen in 5 months/6 months.
We are prepared to walk or renegotiate as the case may be, but I'm also prepared to break out the bubbly. Especially as it's the happiest day until she is sold(so yeah, I've heard that one too, as well as Break Out Another Thousand).
We shall see shortly but can't wait to have her and start sailing the St. Johns river to begin with and then off the coast after I get her over to St. Augustine. That begs a question.
Anyone take the ASA classes from Commanche Cove or anywhere else. They charge 595.00 but I'd rather know more than less so I'm going to end up taking them over the next year.
Again, thanks for the words of advice.
Well the survey done in May is not very useful to you for two reasons, first it was done six months ago, and more importantly it was done for the owner. You want one done for YOU. Do not use any surveyors recommended by the broker either, you want an independent eye looking out for your interests not the broker or seller. There are surveyors out there that do "insurance surveys" that are not very through, really only verifying that the boat is floating and that it does in fact exist. Other surveyors are wiling to overlook things expecting repeat business from a broker, as it helps get a quick sale. Not saying that they are all that way, but that they do exist. Be careful.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Wonder how it actually turned out. Six months since the OP last posted in this thread. Maybe the deal is done and he is out on the water, no time for internet forums anymore. Or maybe it fell through and he is long gone. Who knows?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Total disappearance = no purchase, I suspect.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The OP last signed on six weeks ago, just hasn't posted anything since the above. I hope they are on their boat and enjoying it. However, I too wonder if the survey or seller took a bad turn. First time buyers usually don't know what to expect.

I've sold boats and airplanes to first time buyers and I do exactly what a seller did to me a thousand years ago. He said, "let's understand, before you come see it, have a survey/pre-buy or send me any money, the boat/plane is in the condition I described, except possibly for things I could not know and a professional will check for you. She's XXXX years old, however, not brand new off the showroom floor. If you're look for a boat in new condition, you need to buy a new boat." While obviously not my first pitch, as I try to sell, it has done a pretty good job of settling expectations properly. I haven't lost a deal yet, although, I do take good care of my things and advertise them honestly. Certainly, if a whopper is found in the survey, all bets are off.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts
I always like "honest" ads like: "just needs sails," or "missing keel, boom, and mast, but sails great!" or the one catch all "just needs a little tlc."

For the record I speak for all buyers...
Missing a Mast or Boom, sails, or needing a repower, are generally LARGE PROBLEMS, and not corrected with just TLC. For trailerables, if you cannot trailer it (yes this has happened to me) because the keel no longer retracts (cause you never once did it yourself in the 25 years of ownership), that's ALSO a big deal.

Sorry my last boat search involved lots of people who wove colorful stories about their boats. Most were devoid of reality.

In that regard, I hope the OP didn't get burnt, and truly is out sailing and having a good time. I submit that's likely NOT the case though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts