SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent last winter working on my CPS (Canadian Power & Sail Squadron) Piloting certification.

I enjoyed the course thoroughly and ended it at the top of my class. (This is true, but: I was the only student in the class - 'Now you know the rest of the story!')

Anyway, my instructor was an old tall ship skipper (Tecumseth) and we spent most nights talking about sailing strategies and old sea stories. Armand is also an historical buff and a re-enactor involved in battles from ancient Rome and from the French-Indian wars. So we spent a lot of time on those subjects as well.
All-in-all a great experience.

I wrote the exams in May (maybe June) and then started sailing and not thinking about my results. When I did think about the exam I wasn't very optimistic about my success. I, being a teacher, am a particularly poor student. Once I had completed the exams I read the instructions. I found that I had not followed the instructions. The exam material clearly states how the solutions are to be presented on the answer sheets.
I was very confident in my solutions and figured that my equations were clearly presented - if not in the prescribed place on the forms.
I submitted the sheets and hoped for the best.

Every now and then I wanted to know how I had done, then, assuming I had totally botched it, couldn't care less when the results came.

A couple of weeks ago, during one of the periods that I wanted the results, my wife suggested that I e-mail the CPS to find out what had happened. I decided that this was a good plan as I would have time to register for a winter session once I got my failing grade.

I got a call from CPS last week. It seems that the training officer had my results. He thought that he had a copy of them, not realizing that he should have forwarded them to me.

I got my results last week and, surprise, surprise, surprise, I passed the course.

I got a completely undeserved 96% on the theory component and a merciful 80% on the charting component. The charting is where I am sure I didn't follow the protocols for marking the charts etc. 80% is the minimum mark required to pass, and I am sure the person who marked my exam just felt sorry for me.

Anyhow, now that I'm a pilot: Switch on! Contact! Tally ho!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Congrats, and WELL DONE!

Good story, too.:)

·
19,489 Posts
Good for you!

These are great courses, starting with the basic boating course and moving on through piloting, seamanship, celestial etc.. a big time committment to go through the lot.
I feel that, while it's possible to teach yourself how to sail, if you're going to venture out on the waters beyond your home bay you really need to know how to read a chart, and understand the bouyage system. These courses (and others, of course) will get you where you need to be.

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
I got a call from CPS last week. It seems that the training officer had my results. He thought that he had a copy of them, not realizing that he should have forwarded them to me.
I did the same thing when I was Training Officer, though with some 900 members in our squadron, it didn't take very long for my mistake to be pointed out.

Congratulations on your success! ... As for the plane, though, you'll have to wait a bit longer. I've been waiting for my steamship since 1975, when I received my Department of Transport Certificate of Service as Master of a Foreign Going Steamship. :D

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ConGrats!! On your achievement!

A side note. Ever since I have gotten my Master's License I couldn't get my ex to call me Master! Oh Well, at least she is my ex now and no alimony to pay either. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Real pilots can start a prat/whit standing on a milkcan at 12 years old.Takes another 9 months to re-build the darn canvas....grins.

congratus to you SIR.
Mark

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
And as a pilot you will be able to steer the boat without the Captain looking over your shoulder.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts