SailNet Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Hunter 386
552 Posts
I think (we’re seeing) we've seen the death of privacy, with FB and Google leading the charge. What this means for our societies is unclear to me, but I don’t believe it is positive. And I choose not to be complicit.
I used to say that the only privacy protection we had online was hiding in the numbers. But no more.

With the massive computing power and new algorithms these days, privacy and anonymity is pretty much a thing of a past. Everything from ebooks to music to tv watching tracks us, our preferences and anything we might happen to glance at. I had a book publisher tell me that in the very near future he felt that selling reader data would be more profitable than selling books. Our cars report back to home base, credit cards and debit cards regularly track our data. Heck even your tractor is reporting back to John Deere these days. And once the bank or issuing authority starts selling or trading our "anonymous" financial statistics to other data collection firms...well... it's pretty much putting 2 and 2 together. I really don't believe anyone can escape it anymore if they use any kind of electronic transaction or service. Go ahead, wade through some Terms of Service agreements if you don't believe me :grin

But in spite of all that, I make modest use of most social media: facebook, twitter, forums, youtube, my own websites, Instagram (my favourite because its almost always positive) and let Google and Apple track me to their hearts content. Occasionally I google "how to build a bomb" just to add spice to whoever comes across my file and tries to build a profile.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Earlier this year I went to a panel discussion at a London university. On the panel was a person representing the pharmaceutical industry, plus a PHD in cyber security.

The Pharmaceutical guy spoke first and was saying they need everyone to donate their DNA and they could cure cancer.
The Cyber security dude said don't do it as your DNA file would eventually be sold.
The pharmaceutical guy was not expecting the Cyber Security guy to be there, and was expecting all the Uni students to volunteer their DNA to Cure The World.
The kids loved the Cure stuff. So I put up my hand and said that if their DNA is sold to insurance companies then anyone with a latent goobie in the DNA will never be able to get a home loan, credit card, health insurance, student loan, vehicle drivers insurance/license, can't even rent a car, etc etc.... Their childrens DNA is inherited so their future kids may have the same problem even though they have not given their DNA.

Pair that with this American kid who has been refused admission into Harvard because of a private text conversation when he was 16.

Pair with that the new USA Visa application rule to supply all Social Media memberships (if the USA demands it this year the rest of the western world will want it next year) https://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-department-now-requires-us-visa-applicants-to-share-social-media-accounts-2019-06-01/

Pair that with a friend of mine whose a child psychologist who says that most kids (boys and girls) first sexual experience is swapping dirty photos of themselves with school friends.

So by 18 years old a child whose Dads DNA has a kink, shared a 'dick pic' with another 15 yo, told a racist joke on FB, and said in a text message that he wants to die and wishes the whole world would die too... the kid is stuffed for life.

For me, personally, it doesn't matter. I own my own house, I need nothing from no one, my health system lets me go home and get fixed or die comfortably.

If I had a child I don't know what Id do... but if would be something like making a false identity from birth to be used on a totally separate computer and mobile phone protected by a VPN.

Googles don't be evil turned out to be a joke. Zuccarbabys face and responses to Congress, Twitters banning of one side of politics, and Apples Cloud, Amazons monopoly against retail shops, make up Gorge Orwells 1984. Make no mistake about it. Re-read 1984.

I read somewhere that on FB once you "Like" 50 posts then an algorithm can determine your PARENTS real sexuality.

The future is now. A great cliché, but justified. I think privacy will rebound. I know when FB, et al, will have their wings clipped.
(The next line is a political opinion) The When and the Who.... one man will change it - in the last 2 years of his presidency when he has nothing to lose and a legacy to gain. Or I hope so. Because a future without privacy aint much chop for anyone except the physically or mentally elite.

So endith the diatribe :)

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Funny story: Last week at the D-Day landings commemoration I had a ticket to see Trump and President Macron speak at the American war Memorial. Me and my American mate rented car for a week. Theres a large nuclear facility near here too.... I started on Google maps to see how long it would take us to drive from one to the other to see if we could visit both in the same day....

Suddenly I stopped googling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin :grin :grin

I don't know if the real world is like some movies but I wondered if helicopters would suddenly fly overhead!

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
So by 18 years old a child whose Dads DNA has a kink, shared a 'dick pic' with another 15 yo, told a racist joke on FB, and said in a text message that he wants to die and wishes the whole world would die too... the kid is stuffed for life.
well that will be 95+% of them and the only ones not will be those poor kids living in the back country with no electric and running water

the genie isn't going back into the bottle

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I sure hope this is sorted out for the future generations. At my age I don't think it much matters. I read Brave New World, 1984 and Animal Farm, Dr. Strangelove... and Being There....in high school and I am not the least bit surprised by the world today. But I am surprised we haven't had a nuclear war in my lifetime.

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
What MacBlaze and Mark says … in spades.

FB et. al are indeed leading us down a dark path. But they are not alone. Almost every interaction with the world is now done electronically, and given today’s computing capacity, we can no longe, as MacBlaze said, “hide in the numbers.”

This is the fundamental difference that I think some people seem to miss. It’s not just more of the same old thing, we’ve crossed a threshold into something much different and much darker. Most of us are dutifully taking our soma, sleepwalking into this darkness.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What MacBlaze and Mark says … in spades.

FB et. al are indeed leading us down a dark path. But they are not alone. Almost every interaction with the world is now done electronically, and given today’s computing capacity, we can no longe, as MacBlaze said, “hide in the numbers.”

This is the fundamental difference that I think some people seem to miss. It’s not just more of the same old thing, we’ve crossed a threshold into something much different and much darker. Most of us are dutifully taking our soma, sleepwalking into this darkness.
This may be bad... no it probably is bad.... But I want to read of the tangible impact on real people... not theoreticals...

I personally haven't had or are aware of negative impact in my life.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
552 Posts
This may be bad... no it probably is bad.... But I want to read of the tangible impact on real people... not theoreticals...

That's mostly my take. As long as we stay on the right side of the law/government/society this isn't likely to impact us in many overt ways. We will be marketed to and manipulated (the whole Russian/Chinese interference thing is one of the negatives BTW) but, at least for now, due diligence will will help with that.

But humans are infinitely inventive, and I don't doubt that some clever, no-so-nice jerks will eventually make it much much worse. But a healthy society rolls with the punches so lets hope we can keep from collapsing too much further.

Right now my biggest fear is if I die spectacularly or suddenly started a cult that the news media will cull some picture of me that I hate off the internet and plaster it all over the media. :wink

Oh, and there ain't no president that is going to be able, or want, to stop this. We North Americans and the U.S. in particular are much too profit-oriented. Data is the new oil.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts

other than pissing people off once in a while I have also never had a negative impact

but just recently discovered a whole new side of my family tree with it

It's amazing how paranoid people can get over nothing

·
Registered
Hunter 386
552 Posts
other than pissing people off once in a while I have also never had a negative impact

but just recently discovered a whole new side of my family tree with it

It's amazing how paranoid people can get over nothing
I think calling it nothing is a bit too cavalier. We should be paranoid. But we should also not be paralyzed by it.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
For me it’s important to lead an ethical life. The gross invasion of privacy is counter to my libertarian side. The un ethical behavior of FB as demonstrated over and over be it in the political ream or financial or marketplace and the squashing of startups (therefore development outside their models) by all the tech giants leads me to have a very jaundiced eye.
For me FB crossed the line. Deleted my account. Will not use their new virtual currency. I sometimes use puffin as my browser as the dominance of google has had a major delirious effect on all aspects of commerce. If you aren’t on the first page of a google search you don’t exist. The impact of this on small business is catastrophic.
Internet reputation is now more important than reality. The impact on professionals has increased dramatically in the last decade. The manipulation of internet reputation is now a new lucrative business.
The impact on child brain, social and physical development is well documented. Kids are growing horns. Calcifications in the insertions of neck extensors due to staring at screens for hours with their necks bent forward. As well as smart phone thumb. And deconditioning. And increased suicide rates in teens. And bullying. And lack of social skills. And social isolation. And the propagation of fake news, organization of hate groups.
My kids were bought up with no TVs in their rooms. My grandkids have no smart phones. Both I and my kids work places are totally dependent on tech to work. Have no issues with tech. Have major issues with its current organization. Believe the US lags well behind the EU on how government can protect us some some degree. Believe like Mike we do have an obligation to speak with our feet. Walk away from those giants which are the worst offenders. At present FB leads the list with the alphabet a very close second.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
I don't even pay attention to what FB does. It doesn't matter to me at all as it is just a way for me to stay in touch with friends and family.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
wow people, you know the NSA is monitoring this site and taking names don't you?

In the USA freedom has been disappearing since Ben Franklin's days, yet we still appear to be hanging in there

21 - 36 of 36 Posts