SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glastron spirit 28 (79). I don't have much experience on other sail boats. I noticed this fall, after owning the boat for a season, that a section of the deck is "soft" . However , it's not around the stays or anywhere, it's only the angled part of the deck above the forward berth.

I think I know the answer to the question , but does this mean rot?

Is so, what can I do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Well, you can do what a vast majority of people do and just accept that the deck is a bit soft there and go sailing. It'll likely last another 30 years like that.
Or you can cut it all away, replace the core etc. And then discover another soft spot somewhere else next year. Repeat. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would rather not cut up the deck, anytime soon. I have checked everywhere else and can't find soft spots.

I worry about it spreading , and I don't want to sound lazy, but I wonder if the area is "crucial" in terms of boat structure

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just soft for a small spot doesn't have to mean rot. Couöd be some delamination. With time, most boats develop get some such soft sport on the deck.

The area in front of the main cabin, ie the foredeck is known to sometimes have some soft sport. As long it is just soft, and confined I wouldn't worry. If it does spread, then it could be water penetration.
- in any case, make an inspection. Any cracks where water could penetrate?

There are two different ways to handle this:
a) trying to fix the softness by injecting epoxy (without solution).
b) supporting the foredeck from below. Could be done in a number of ways. Not difficult at all.

/J

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm sure you have done this but what does the inside look like, any watermarks or signs of intrusion....?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking the only place could be around the forward hatch. There are no cracks anywhere in that area,

What do u mean epoxy without solution ?

Thanks

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
where? is an important question...from the pic I cannot see where it is soft...maybe I missed this

I have used the syringe epoxy method now on 3 or 4 boats I have onwed and worked on...for spot fixes it works great...the trick is to find the exact depth of the bottom layer of glass and to not go through....

you use a drill bit with a mark on it...for wood, plywood cores it works great...SLOW prgress but great

and it beats taking whole panels of deck off...That can be a nightmare

ps. I see you say the angled part of deck...hmmmm I would try for sure the syringe method FIRST

angled glass jobs are much harder than flat parts...my 2cents

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
where? is an important question...from the pic I cannot see where it is soft...maybe I missed this

I have used the syringe epoxy method now on 3 or 4 boats I have onwed and worked on...for spot fixes it works great...the trick is to find the exact depth of the bottom layer of glass and to not go through....

you use a drill bit with a mark on it...for wood, plywood cores it works great...SLOW prgress but great

and it beats taking whole panels of deck off...That can be a nightmare
You can't see the softness in the pic exactly, I just included it to show the general area, both side of the angled portion , in the pic the two area in front of the hatch, have give when u step on them

When u inject epoxy, you are doing so above and below the layers of glass, around the wood core? Sandwich analogy ; if the fibreglass is bread and the wood is ham , the epoxy is your mayo?

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
hey bud

Ive never had a deck go bad on angle like that...just on the sidecks mostly where stays, stanchions and stuff leak and get the core wet

I would definitely try the epoxy syringe method first....id be happy to help in any way

its much easier and can help in the meantime before you decide to start ripping out decks...

peace

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guess any epoxy will work ? Two part? Slow set?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
what are wet set? Im used to using WEST systems but have done it with others...

usually I blow dry the part I want to fix first and air dry as much as possible its been a long time since I have needed to do this Im sure there are a number of newer epoxies out there

I would love to know

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What volume of expoxy are we talking about for a 2x4 foot area? And how many holes ? Every six inches ? Every three?

Thanks

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
very little...buy a quart first

I think I understand what wet set means, kind if like what underwater putty does?

language barrier here but canadian in any case get a small quart...and depending on how soft and big the area is I did holes in like a 10 inch radius...only do 2 holes at a time...

start drilling a hole above where you drill the second hole, basically you want to see where the epoxy leaks to...as soon as you see epoxy squeeze or OOZE out you put some tape on it....

then you wait and you do it in the surrounding areas...I found this 2 hole at a time to work much better than drilling a bunch of holes

also if you can pressurize the holes in someway you can do a better job as the epoxy will push into areas where simple gravity wont.

good luck

ps. you do waste some epoxy its a part of the process so dont get frsutrated by that...

Reactions: CanadianNorth

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the interior part of that spot. If doing some of the work from the inside, it might be easier for cleaning and covering up if you drill pilot holes. Plus, you wouldn't have holes exposed to the weather if it takes longer than a day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would be interested in seeing the interior part of that spot. If doing some of the work from the inside, it might be easier for cleaning and covering up if you drill pilot holes. Plus, you wouldn't have holes exposed to the weather if it takes longer than a day.
Now that I think of it, the inside is covered with material, would be easy to hide.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do re-consider.

It is so easy to say just inject epoxy - that will solve anything.

First: Is it really worth any repair? Or, can you live with it, as it is?

Secondly, think. Epoxy injected, what will that do? What stuctural re-inforcement will you get? Maybe you will not notice any "softness", but will the construction be stronger?

/J

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
no, its just prevents anything else from getting worse...like I said its a temporary yet sometimes very often remains a permanent fix...
on racing boats people shy away from this treatment because they like to think the added weight of epoxy ladden decks make them slower, in reality all you are doing is preventing the decks to get worse or softer...there is a certain point where too soft will cause issues like cracks, crazing and in really bad scenarios oil canning under pressure etc...

you can also have issues with cabinetry, and doors not closing correctly...plus hole sizes are very small 3mm or so...you can touch up with a little paint brush that even keen eyes wont notice

cheers

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I would drill a few small holes on the bottom of the soft area from the inside to see if water comes out. If it does than you have to figure out where does it get into the deck. Have to fix that. Then I would attach two pieces of marine plywood from inside to reinforce that area if it looks weak and flimsy. Keep an eye on it for a few months and later re-install the headliner fabric. Injecting epoxy is a PITA and sometimes does not work very well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Be careful drilling and injecting epoxy in areas where there is core rot (if that is indeed what it is, and not delamination where you really have solid core structure in that area). I've been on several boats that have attempted this as a repair of soggy core and it does not really strengthen the area(s) involved. If there is any load bearing hardware in the region that my explain how water intruded into the rotten core, such as- jib tracks, cleats, pad-eyes, etc.. that might not have been bedded properly, then replacing the core is your best alternative. If this is only in an area that is not under that sort of strain, and it's not in a place where someone may not put a foot through, then I'd probably leave it alone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts