SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if it was possible to use soft shackles/hanks with a roller furler. I have hank on head sails at the moment with bronze hanks. If I were to install a roller furler to my forestry and had a new sail made for it, could I change the bronze hanks for soft shackles and use them over the furler foil?

Would that be too much pressure on the foil? I'm not trying to do anything, I was just curious because I have a couple headsails that have some life in them.

This is purely academic at this point.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What the cost of conversion and you don't have to add the sunbrella strip on the edges just have the sail loft quote you for luff tape
Well I figured that, honestly I was purely curious. Ultimately, if I were to get a furler I'd have the old hank sails fixed with luff tape unless it was more than it was worth. I have seen videos of soft shackles and it looks fun and easy enough to do.
For some other ideas look at the attachments for storm sails over furler gear
Thanks, I'll look at that. I have a cutter so I'd leave my staysail as hank on. I don't see the need or added cost of having a roller on that.... Yet. wink

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
Having the RF on your headstay gives the advantage (as well as need) to roll it up to tack, probably not doing a lot of that beating like a race boat anyway but adds some flexibility to your rig. The cutter, Yankee? is easy enough to tack, self tacking if it has a boom, that's when the RF is good there.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wondering if it was possible to use soft shackles/hanks with a roller furler. I have hank on head sails at the moment with bronze hanks. If I were to install a roller furler to my forestry and had a new sail made for it, could I change the bronze hanks for soft shackles and use them over the furler foil?

Would that be too much pressure on the foil? I'm not trying to do anything, I was just curious because I have a couple headsails that have some life in them.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're thinking of, but I have a hard time picturing how that would work... Seems to me only the shackles at the tack and the head could be fixed to rotate with the furler, how would the soft shackles be affixed to the foil itself, in the same way a luff tape is?

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
With all the used sails available on the internet these days, I don't see any problem coming up with the correct sail to use on your new furler, if you do not wish to convert your present sail.
I doubt that what you are proposing would be very effective and I'm sure the soft shackles would bind sooner or later, making it impossible to drop the sail in a situation you'd prefer not to have your jib flogging around, half up or down.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're thinking of, but I have a hard time picturing how that would work... Seems to me only the shackles at the tack and the head could be fixed to rotate with the furler, how would the soft shackles be affixed to the foil itself, in the same way a luff tape is?
I think he is talking about "hanking on" a sail over the foil with the soft shackles kind of the same way hanks woudl work over the forstay. It would not roll in, but he could perhaps use a "specialty" sail without having to have it converted to luff tape.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Well I figured that, honestly I was purely curious. Ultimately, if I were to get a furler I'd have the old hank sails fixed with luff tape unless it was more than it was worth. I have seen videos of soft shackles and it looks fun and easy enough to do.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
the biggest difficulty with soft shackles is getting the size identical on all of them

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With all the used sails available on the internet these days, I don't see any problem coming up with the correct sail to use on your new furler, if you do not wish to convert your present sail.
I doubt that what you are proposing would be very effective and I'm sure the soft shackles would bind sooner or later, making it impossible to drop the sail in a situation you'd prefer not to have your jib flogging around, half up or down.
See Paul's post below. I just mean if I take the RF sail off and it's just a foil, can I use soft hanks to secure an older hank sail to the foil with the soft shackles/hanks. Or would that damage the foil?
I think he is talking about "hanking on" a sail over the foil with the soft shackles kind of the same way hanks woudl work over the forstay. It would not roll in, but he could perhaps use a "specialty" sail without having to have it converted to luff tape.
Exactly what I'm talking about.. I know adding luff tape would obviously be ideal. And I'm not trying to go against the grain, just curious if that's possible or would it bring damage to the foil.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the biggest difficulty with soft shackles is getting the size identical on all of them
Yea, that's a good point, I think they would be close enough to all share similar loads. I think you could get soft shackles within 1/4" of each other. Can't be any less variation in the sewn in hanks, I would think.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
See Paul's post below. I just mean if I take the RF sail off and it's just a foil, can I use soft hanks to secure an older hank sail to the foil with the soft shackles/hanks. Or would that damage the foil?

Exactly what I'm talking about.. I know adding luff tape would obviously be ideal. And I'm not trying to go against the grain, just curious if that's possible or would it bring damage to the foil.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
I don't know if it is a good sign if I under stand you. If you listen to my X I don't think like normal people! :)

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So is this something that is doable or would it be too much for the foil and warp/bend it?

It seems to me, it wouldn't be a problem but I don't have a RF or am an expert of them. I just think the hanks are spaced closely enough to spread the load well. Plus being soft shackles, the load on each is spread over a half inch at least per shackle instead of a more acute point with bronze hanks.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,704 Posts
Hey guys,

- Ronnie...on the geaux
I am not sure if I understand your question. If the goal is to convert a sail with hanks to a furler, its easy for a sailmaker to add a luff tape and do that.

If I understand your question another way, I had considered something like that myself to make it easier to flake the sail single-handed during sail changes on the furler.

I had discussed this with a sailmaker for offshore use and the idea that we came up with was to have spectra straps that would pass through strapped cringles on the luff (behind the luff tape) and have eyes in each end that would have a jib hank on one side and an open eye on the other. The hank would attach to the eye around the outside of the foil with minimal slack, and could be rolled into the furled sail.

The only tricky part was that the pre-feeder had to be fed between the straps and the foil as the straps were put on in order from the bottom up so the sail could be raised without me at the bow.

The straps were intended to keep the sail onboard during a single handed drop, and allow me to do a single handed flake. I had planned to use this with a short body bag type sail bag that could be hanked to my toerail and which was roughly a third of the length of the foot in length.

The other advantage was that it would keep the sail attached to the boat if it came out of the foil, but I don't visualize that happening in normal conditions. Once out of the foil, the sail would not have much of a flying shape that way since the cringles were aft of the luff tape and the luff tape would be flopping around.

Jeff

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure if I understand your question. If the goal is to convert a sail with hanks to a furler, its easy for a sailmaker to add a luff tape and do that.

If I understand your question another way, I had considered something like that myself to make it easier to flake the sail single-handed during sail changes on the furler.

I had discussed this with a sailmaker for offshore use and the idea that we came up with was to have spectra straps that would pass through strapped cringles on the luff (behind the luff tape) and have eyes in each end that would have a jib hank on one side and an open eye on the other. The hank would attach to the eye around the outside of the foil with minimal slack, and could be rolled into the furled sail.

The only tricky part was that the pre-feeder had to be fed between the straps and the foil as the straps were put on in order from the bottom up so the sail could be raised without me at the bow.

The straps were intended to keep the sail onboard during a single handed drop, and allow me to do a single handed flake. I had planned to use this with a short body bag type sail bag that could be hanked to my toerail and which was roughly a third of the length of the foot in length.

The other advantage was that it would keep the sail attached to the boat if it came out of the foil, but I don't visualize that happening in normal conditions. Once out of the foil, the sail would not have much of a flying shape that way since the cringles were aft of the luff tape and the luff tape would be flopping around.

Jeff
Oh I understand what you're saying. That would be a good idea.

I guess my question is confusing because I would get the old hank on sails converted to luff tape no question. But I was just wondering if I had bought a used hank sail somewhere and there was no sail maker until the next Port to put luff tape on(assuming my sails are shredded for some reason). Could I take the bronze hanks off, install soft shackles and wrap the soft shackles around the furler foil to get to the next port without damaging the foil? Like using soft shackles on a synthetic headstay, but instead of a synthetic headstay, it would be the foil.

Is that clearer?

I'll try to draw a picture/diagram when I get up on the bridge on watch.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.