SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
Nothing. They kinda seem like a yuppie accoutrement for sailors. I keep a lot of small stuff around, should I need strings and things.

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
For starters...

- Outhaul attachment to mainsail
- Vang attachment to boom and mast base

Pretty easy to make once you have the diamond knot down.
- Outhaul attachment to mainsail; mine is pinned into the outhaul car
Vang attachment to boom and mast base; Snap shackles seem to work fine for me and have for about half a century.

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
"A strong soft shackle that can do the same job" How can your soft shackle do either end of this vang (see pic), and why would you want one here?

"Tow lines (dingy, inflatables, water ski, even other boats); they won't sink, dragging the line down where props are," Splicing is a very useful skill.

"2 went to keychains." Down to only one key; keep it in my wallet.
I certainly wouldn't use one on my jib sheets (7/8" double braid) as I'm positive they would fail at some point.
I'm sure they've been around a lot longer than 200 years, but that doesn't make them the best thing for the job. Canvas and flax sails have been around a long time too, but I doubt many of you are going back to them.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.