SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Before I do anything stupid, just want to grab some advices out there.

My solar panel charger have 6 connectors, Panels / Battery / Load.
I have a typical setup (2 hourse batteries, 1 starter/backup, one switch 1-2-Both).
My main (+) comes from the switch and the (-) is grounded to the engine block.
First, I don't think I have to connect those "load" connectors to anything.
On board electrics will get powered through the "usual" system, i.e. batteries & switch. Right ? I just have to connect Panels/Battery.

Now, If I wanted to use those connectors and get a reading of the Amp consumption for example, where should I connect those wires ?
In parallel at the (+) of switch Ouput and (-) (battery (-), engine block (does it matter ?).

Thanks

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
Correct, ignore the "load" connectors.

Connecting to positive and negative will not give you amp consumption, only voltage.

You could purchase an ammeter and install it but a good battery monitor is a better idea - it will not only tell consumption but the batteries state of charge.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Reaction score
Hi there. DO NOT connect an amp meter across the load terminals. These terminals are for running a load from the controller directly and/or (depending on you controller) controlling the load with reference to the battery voltage. Connecting an amp meter here will result in a short circuit through the meter.

Reactions: mitiempo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.