SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide which solar panels to get. Kyocera 135 or 130 are tops on the list. I am planning on putting 2 on our boat. What is the difference between a junction box verses cable connections? Any suggestions on what controller would go with these?

Thanks
Mike

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Are these all the panels you're looking at getting, or will you possibly be adding more or a wind gen in the future??

If they are, get a Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000. If not, get the Outback MX60 Flexcharge.

As for the connection method...the cable ones may be easier to maintain. Junction boxes can be tougher to keep sealed and corrosion free.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will probably stay with just 2 panels, no wind. What about battery temp cable? Can I use one for both the panels and a high output alternater?
Thanks for your help

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
IF you're talking about a battery temperature sensor cable, you need a separate one for the MPPT charge controller. Both the Blue Sky SB2000 and the Outback Flexcharge MX60 are MPPT type controllers. Would highly recommend you read this primer on solar panels on boats that I wrote.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts