SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this is my panel...it was in the boat from the previous owner...works fine:)

and:

anybody got some solutions on how to reseal the edge and maybe what glue would work nicely and not damage the cells? its seems to have from the factory a black polysulfide or polyurethane type sealant...

I will redrill and rivet the aluminum frame or just JB WELD it with a strap of metal...

thanks

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

guess any sealant will do then....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Christian, it's hard to see exactly how big the problem is from your photos (at least for me). I would try to "tack weld" everything in place with thickened epoxy and then seal with polysulfide sealant. It might not look beautiful, but I think it would keep the water out and protect the electrical thingies.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks yeah its half the frame that is loose from the actuall panel...its attached with the black looking sealant

the frame has 2 screws that broke off...

the black box where the wires are is sealed and cleaned up...

I really was just wanting to know if any black sealant we commonly use would be ok

sorry for the pics they are a but too close up

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Copa

295UV requires a primer. I doubt it is available there.

Christian

I would use an angle bracket to put the frame together and keep it there as you posted. I wouldn't use epoxy as I don't think it will work well - epoxy doesn't stick to plastic and the back side of many panels are plastic. I would use something like the adhesives found at Home Depot like Dap or failing that 5200. You won't be taking it apart ever anyway. With a tight frame it doesn't have to be very strong.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Especially if you want it to work well.

The job doesn't require an expensive sealant - any good one should work. 5200 if available is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not to labour the point, but I don't think any other structural silicone adhesive or bedding compound (Dow Corning, 3M, Boat Life etc.) calls for a primer. Sika recommends using their primer for best results, but when you see the price of a micro-sized tin of primer your hair will curl. FWIW, I've been using it without the primer with no problems.

I do like your idea of using aluminium angle to hold the frame together. Perhaps with rivets.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Rivets or 10/24 machine screws would work well. I think from what Christian has said most marine sealants are expensive where he is.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys...we have DAP all types of window sealants...will see what I can get a hold of...

thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts