SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
  • The winner of the February SailNet Captain of the Month is Howard @HPeer. A new competition starts April FOOLSDAY!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm installing a radar pole on the stern and thought about somehow installing a couple solar panels to the pole below the radar. Any reason I shouldn't try this?

Dave

· Registered
86 Posts
Reaction score
How big are the panels? Stresses are higher in a cantilever (free-floating ends) than when both ends are supported. Stresses are much higher than if the panels are normally supported at multiple points along its length.

On top of that, the pole will amplify the boat's rolling motions, again leading to greater stresses. I'd be very wary of doing this unless the panels are very small, or the mounting hardware for the panels is considerably overengineered. Mounting them on a radar arch would work. But I'd be extremely cautious about mounting on a radar pole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.