SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
I don't think Renogy is in the same class as Kyocera. From the Renogy Warranty download:

http://renogy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Warranty-off-grid-kits.pdf

"LIMITED WARRATNY: Renogy warrants this product will be free from defects in
The warranty does not cover failures result from ...natural elements, ..."

Yes, we all make typos (Warratny ?!) but a real grown-up business sends that stuff past legal and engineering and other people and multiple eyes have to fail to read it. Typos on an important legal document like the warranty mean it isn't a very established business "yet".

The warranty also excludes damage due to natural elements, which would mean rain and salt water spray. So, there's no warranty for exterior or shipboard use. That's even better than the companies that exclude "use on moving vehicles" and boats.

Coming back to the numbers...

"I believe it will use between 24 and 50 amps per day, "
Let's say that's 50, and it would be 50 Amp-hours not amps. It would be important to know if that's at 12.6 volts (battery power) or 14.4 volts (alternator power) since the overall wattage pulled will be different. Split the difference and let's say 50 AH at 12.6 volts for a nearly full battery...

"...one big 160a battery ...I would also upgrade my battery bank to one 220a battery."

" I should have a daily energy requirement of about 50 or 60 amps tops." 10AH for everything else seems conservative, but if you have LED nav and cabin lights, or no night lights, it might be.

"Will I have enough solar panels (total 330w) to reliably meet my energy needs? "
If you are using an MPPT controller, you will get about 15% more power out of the panels than any other kind of controller. That is, an MPPT controller will give you almost the full rated power at battery voltage (330W at 12.8 volts, about 25 Amps) and depending on installation angle, time of the year, how far off the equator you are, you can count on that for the equivalent of about 5 hours per sunny day. So, about 125 Amp-hours per day from the solar panel. Without the MPPT controller, possibly 15-20% less power because other controllers throw out the excess voltage from a solar panel, which might be 17-22 volts for a nominal "12" volt system. Even if you didn't use MPPT you'd probably see 100Ah per day, which would be "enough" but give you less of a safety margin.

If you're making 125 Amp-hours and consuming 60Ah, you'll have plenty of power. I'd even suggest keeping the 160Ah battery as long as it is in good condition, and not replacing it until it weakens or there's some other good reason.

Assuming, of course, I've gotten my math right, which doesn't always happen.

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
newhaul-
The Kyocera warranty excludes defects caused by mobile use, but it does not simply void the warranty for all mobile users, as many other makers do. It also does not appear to exclude damage caused by rain, as Renology does. And then of course, there's the question of how any vendor processes warranty claims, and whether you think they'll be around in ten years in any case.
I think BP are still making solar panels that don't exclude marine and mobile use, among a few other vendors.

Of course, if panels are "half price", you may choose to roll the dice in favor of the discount up front anyway.

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
Selling a product for marine use, and then burying a tidbit about the warranty being void in said marine use, could be a blessing in disguise.

I think the FTC and some other federal agencies would find a way to construe that as violating the Magnusson Moss Act, and tolling federal warranty provisions possibly including the Uniform Commercial Code, which establishes a FOUR YEAR warranty, sometimes longer, when the warrantor (Kyocera) hasn't properly sorted their p's and q's.

Unca Sam like to spank companies don't follow the warranty laws. The states do, too. The voters tend to applaud, and everybody except the sloppy warrantor is happy. Heck, sometimes they're happy too, as long as you spell their name right. (As they say on Broadway.(G)

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
"Carmanah (Go Power), after seeing the pictures shipped 2 new panels to my customer in California from Victoria at no cost to the customer."
Way to go!
And whatever it cost them, there's no price you can set on that kind of good PR. OK, start at Sailnet's $100/month for a one inch ad slug...(G)...

Exceptional service is by definition the exception to the norm. But there are still a number of companies that know it pays off in the long run. Many will advance ship or cross-ship replacements, or have a local dealer take back the failed goods, or settle for photos. They know it gets them lifelong customers, and that's way cheaper than trying to find new ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.