SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
with 2 you have redundancy and a backup in case of physical damage to one or the other and all you would need to do to stay alive is to reduce consumption.

most budget cruisers use 1, or a big one and a small very small one wherever space may dictate.

2 seems to be the way to go for most.

since im not currently cruising I only have a maintainer panel and single battey bank at 100amps, altough bigger than needed for that around 85watts back on the davits....

a second one would be the way to go if I added a small drop in cooler or other gear

good decision on the engel drop in!

jealous

Reactions: copacabana

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Looking at solar myself, will be good to see what is discussed here. Next season we hope to moving to a mooring and I want to keep the fridge going, if possible. Other than the bilge pump that would be the only thing running when moored. Cruising of course is another thing I assume.

I am very interested in the newer flexible panels, but I see one solid panel on the davit, or maybe the dodger, or both? If dodger, we are planning to build a new one maybe this winter, perhaps the flexible type can be built into the dodger?
my old boat had the very popular semi hard dodger design that actually is easier to buiild or make than a full canvas dodger

the hard top was curved making a felixible panel the best choice there

back out on the davits a smaller hard panel works great with some aluminum mounts.

I am a huge fan of the new harder flexible panels being made today.

look at webb chiles moore 24(race boat) GANNET and look at the panels he installed on deck on the sides

they are shatter proof and deck proof(trampling on and off them) however he made custom covers for them just in case

honestly today the sheer volume of options for panels and power management makes it harder than before

it used to be gettting an mppt controller a good panel and wires was as complicated as you can get

NOW! watch out:D

Reactions: T37Chef

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Fala Christian! With the big 240w panel I'd have a total of 3 panels (the two existing 45w panels and the new one). I agree that the big panel is a bit like putting all one's eggs in one basket... The problem here (as you well know!) is that we don't have all the (cheap) options and products available in the US and Europe. We have to work with what's available. As it is, I'm going to pick up the fridge in Canada and fly it back as a piece of luggage! Sadly, I can't bring the panels as well on the plane...
i know you know how it is "down here" jaja

I once brought a motorcycle engine back in suitcases and built up my restored honda xr600 that way peice by peice

here in el salvador they have small 20 or 30watter, 85, and big 120s or so and thats it unless you order from the states and pay import duties etc

surprisingly they have 6volt trojan batteries that are only priced about 30 percent higher than in the states which if you think about it is a steal! they use them for remote cell phone tower maintenance things.

if I ever come back down to the boat, I also have a friend in the battery business that can hook me up with some batteries if I ever start my electric inboard project but that may never happen.

I think the 2 small 45 panels and one big one over the dodger or on davits is a safe bet and would probably work real well

those engel fridges are awesome!

good luck man

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
so jealous of the engel fridge copa!

good luck and happy holidays man

christian

ps mornignstar mppt 30 amp controller have a great rep...that would be my advice

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
So, isn't it just a bit fraudulent to sell a marine boat solar kit and exclude such use in the warranty?
John
been this way for decades now...it is what it is...:D

doesnt stop boaters from using them

Im a non fan of any warranty on stuff that is used the way its intended...

:laugher

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
x2 they are great point being its the panel thats worth it at whatever price range you deem good

they are all being used outside a warranty range...so if you do decide to add warranty some way or form make it with a company that standsby by their product good or bad...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.