SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
I've seen suggestions to use two panels, each with its own controller, so that you'll get maximum output of any panel that isn't shaded, as opposed to a compromised output if a large panel is even partially shaded from time to time. That made sense to me.

Unless sunshine is guaranteed, a 220AH bank is pretty marginal to be running a fridge or esp. a freezer even though I believe the newer models are much more efficient than our old Adler Barbour which uses over 5 amps running (usually at a 50% duty cycle)

We currently are running a single 100W panel, a 440AH bank and have upgraded our alternator to 90A capability with a 'smart regulator' and unlike past seasons this summer we did not need to plug in anywhere. Very pleased with this setup.. the solar (in sunny conditions) gets about 10-15AH ahead of the fridge during daylight, cutting our daily draw by more than half. We do get 12-14 hours of sun in our summer months so that helps a bit too....

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
I am very interested in the newer flexible panels, but I see one solid panel on the davit, or maybe the dodger, or both? If dodger, we are planning to build a new one maybe this winter, perhaps the flexible type can be built into the dodger?
We bought the SolarFlex panel from GoPower/Carmanah. So far so good. Using bungees to hold it atop the dodger at the moment, but someone suggested sewing 'corner pockets' into the dodger that you could slip the panels into. That would leave them free to be optimally positioned at various times when moored or docked. Orientation makes a huge difference to the output of these things.

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
An Engel MT-45 uses between .7 and 2.5 amps. The drop-in model is the same (MB-40).
Brian.. is that net amps, or 'when running'? What's the typical duty cycle? Good numbers compared to our old AB unit.

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks Mark.. mighty tempting numbers, esp in 'fridge' function. Would be difficult to give up volume, though, and so far (tapping on own head) our 'old faithful' AB keeps on chugging.... ;)

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
We sell Go Power flexible panels in Victoria. One customer installed 2 panels on his bimini and during a trip to California in a gale one eyelet ripped out of a panel. This allowed the panel to loosen and since it was attached to the other panel as well they were both destroyed. Carmanah (Go Power), after seeing the pictures shipped 2 new panels to my customer in California from Victoria at no cost to the customer.

The destroyed panels did not have to be shipped back - the pictures were sufficient. Total time from damage reported to new panels arriving in California was about 3 weeks.

I have found the solar companies I deal with to be excellent in customer service. Genasun, Carmanah (Go Power), and Morningstar have all been exemplary. Neither Carmanah nor Morningstar needed to physically see the defective product and paid all shipping costs - between 2 different countries.
As a recent, already satisfied GoPower buyer, I'm very pleased to see this!

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Brian.. that's one thing I do worry about.. we mount/demount the panel between trips and stow it below (it's just held atop the dodger with bungees and not very secure theft-wise)

I'm thinking of drilling an extra couple of holes near the edge and using zap straps to secure the leads in addition to the glued-on wire block. Should be OK?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.