SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of fixing up a soling sailboat. I have tried to look on line but I have not found a list of standing rigging diagrams or size and length of lines. Thought i would ask here if anyone has any advice. The boat is currently rigged, with mast and boom not connected, but has been sitting outside uncovered for a few years so all the lines are damaged. One option is to take each one out and measure each one.

Any advice on colour coding would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
We raced a Soling for about a dozen years, including CORK and other major events. Owners often "personalized" their boats with controls that have more or fewer sheaves for mechanical advantage, so a standard length for anything is going to be difficult to find. Likewise, line diameters for sheets and controls will also vary according to how hard you have to pull and how often adjustments are needed - how tired your hand gets or how much it hurts. You may set the jib Cunningham at the start of the day and only change it once all day. The vang, backstay, outhaul and main Cunningham will need adjusting each time you go from upwind to downwind. Line has also developed since Solings were an Olympic class in the '70's, so really thin line - which can hurt your hands- is now strong enough to put just about anywhere on the boat. The jibsheet, mainsheet and travellers (most Solings are self-tacking) get a lot of use on a Soling, so using a line that feels comfortable "to hand" for these lines is probably the way to go.

Your "damaged" lines are probably serviceable, but dirty. It might make sense to wash them before replacing them, and see if that helps. Some people put them in a washtub with dish soap and swish them around, then rinse. Others run them through washing machines. Your call. Color-coding is up to you too. I like red fleck for spinnaker-related items. (halyards, sheets, topping lift...) Blue fleck for jib (halyard, sheets, traveler, Cunningham... ) White/no fleck for main.... Maybe another color for the rigging (forestay, backstay, shrouds...) Some people go wild, with yellow for one thing, green for something else, black for a third... There can be so many controls that having a different color for each can get quite confusing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts