SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, I am from China, my boss asked me to translate some files about sailing yachts. However, I found there are 2 data that I can't understand in one form, like this:
IMS GP Sek LYS
Wasa370 640 1,23
Wasa420 610 1,30

So if you know what do the IMS GP Sek and LYS mean, tell me please.
THX very much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
performancing cruising.....{IMS GP Sek}......................{LYS}
wasa370.......................**640}...............................1,23}
wasa420.......................**610}...............................1,30}

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'll take a stab at it.

Bigjustice,

It might help to know the original language.

The whole thing looks like an unformatted dump from a formatted document such as MS Word or MS Excel. Unformatted dumps tend to look like that. The formatting information turns into a lot of weird characters around the data. Do you have any idea where it came from or how it was produced?

I haven't got a clue about "performancing cruising.....{IMS GP Sek}......................{LYS}" Could they be abbreviations for equipment installed on the yachts in question? I couldn't tell more without knowing the original language.

For the second and third lines, my guess is that they have something to do with the Swedish Wasa Yachts company. The third term in each line looks like a price in European format. Take a look at Wasa 370 - Wasa Yachts and Wasa 420 - Wasa Yachts.

Good luck!

DaCAP

performancing cruising.....{IMS GP Sek}......................{LYS}
wasa370.......................**640}...............................1,23}
wasa420.......................**610}...............................1,30}

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dacap06
thank you very much. the form i quoted above is a part of the whole form. And the whole form is this:

So can u get any information from this?
Bj

·
Registered
656 Posts
RE: Help with translation

I was hoping the original language might be one of the Nordic or Western European ones. Sadly, I don't speak any Asian languages and don't know the ideographs.

However, I just looked at the product description of the Wasa 370 (http://www.wasayachts.com/dyn/files/normal_items/38-file-2/Wasa_370_Br.pdf) and it mentions that it is "adopted for IMS sailing. That rang a bell. IMS is the International Measurement System, about which you can find more here: International Measurement System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

SEK is the currency code for the Swedish Krona, and Google tells me that LYS is the Swedish sailboat handicap time correction factor (which I didn't know before).

All I have otherwise is pure guesswork. I have seen the occasional GP Dinghy for sale in the UK. You should be able to find out about those on Google too. Could one of these yachts have a dingy that goes with it?

Good luck with it!

DaCAP

dacap06
thank you very much. the form i quoted above is a part of the whole form. And the whole form is this:

So can u get any information from this?
Bj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya~i google the IMS, and i found the unit of the data 640/ 610 is sec/miles. More or less, i get something from it. but the LYS i still...
anyway, thank you for your help~~~

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It sounds like that table is a conversion table between seconds/mile and the LYS the Swedes use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts