SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
0hz25644g472 thats my HIN. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I am curious as to why I have the Z. As far as I know it has never been trashed. Would this be cuz it was built before hin's and there for added the z or perhaps because it was from Canada(which it was at one point) Also I have been told the g is for Feb. and I have been told it is for July. Any one know anything about this kind of racket? Supposedly 1972 Tartan 30 I know the oh is for ohio where it was built. At least I think I do.:D

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
This is EVERYTHING I know about HINs - for whatever it is worth:

HINs (Hull Identification Numbers and how to read them)

Hull numbers used between October 31, 1972 and August 1, 1984 are as follows:

1 2 3 = Manufacture's Code
4 5 = Model Number
6 7 8 = Hull Number
9 10 11 12 = Date of Manufacture ( 9 10 Month, 11 12 Year)
Or
9 = M
10 11 = Model Year
12 = Month of Manufacture; A = August B = September

Example: TSP90014M83B

TSP = Tillotson/Pearson
90 = Model 90
014 = Hull #14
M83B = Model Year, Construction began 1982, Code B = September
Hull Numbers used after August 1, 1984 are as follows:
1 2 3 = Manufacture's Code
4 5 6 7 8 = Manufacture's Hull Number
9 10 = Date of Certification or Manufacture (9 is Letter for Month; A =
January, 10 is Last Digit of Year)
11 12 = Model Year

Example: PYZ40012L586

PYZ = Present Yachts, Inc.
40012 = Hull Serial Number
L5 = December 1985 Date of Certification or Manufacture
86 = 1986 Model Year

Rik

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
ohz - Ohio Homemade Boats, in reality just a code used for hin's assigned by the state, it probably didn't have one and a previous owner had one assigned for registration purposes.
The rest of the number may (or may not) be entirely accurate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From Hinvalid.com:

IF THE THIRD LETTER OF A HIN IS A "Z" WHY SHOULD I TAKE SPECIAL NOTICE?
When the third digit of a HIN is a "Z," this indicates that the HIN has been state-issued or "re-tagged." In these cases, the "Z" will be preceded by the issuing state's abbreviation (e.g. "NYZ" or "FLZ"). There are a few ways this can happen. It could have been a home made boat and its builder requested that a HIN be issued by the state; this is completely legal and correct. Such a HIN may also indicate that the vessel had been sold as "salvage" and part or most of it was refurbished and presented as a "home built" or "custom made" boat. It may not look home made, but this too is legal within certain guidelines. The important thing is that you are advised of this before you buy the vessel so you can ask any questions you may have about its history and how it came to be re-tagged.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A guy I know who has a t30 hull 148 and is a 73 and I have hull 140(a 72). We are trying to find out where the cut off date is on hull no.'s for the year 1972. And I am trying to find out what month and year my boat was built. I know all I have to do is make a phone call to Tartan but thats way to easy and I might learn a thing or two this way. Might not answer my question though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts