SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 40 year old Petrel. It is 12' long, with a 20' mast and 100sf of sail. The stays are 3/32". The forestay has two frayed wires.

So my questions...
1) Can I use the frayed forestay? I would think the sidestays see a lot more stress than the forestay, but of course two wires are broken...
2) Were I to replace it; I have some cable off my old hang glider. (the last landing bent it up beyond repair:() They are 1/8". Any reason not to use the heavier cable? The jib will just barely go on, but one on it slides easily enough.
3) Were I to use the 1/8" cable, can I use a kit from Lowe's that has a saddle and 2 clamps?

Thanks

· Registered
42 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cables are good, its the aluminum tubes that took a beating.
Yes, a turnbuckle.
Why 2 thimbles? I can't picture where more than one would go.

The nearest West Marine is 50 miles away. The are a few little marinas close to me, but I don't know if they do anything like that. But I will contact them.

· Registered
42 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can use one end already made; I thought you were saying I needed two at the new end! Makes more sense now.

It is fresh water and will be at the top of the mast. Still, I understand your objections. thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.