SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my...

I just had two co-workers come into my office. One is an amateur pilot and the other rides motorcycles. They know almost nothing of sailing, other than watching boats on the water in the Annapolis area.

These two guys burst into my office, completely unbidden to tell me:

1. It is impossible, it is the height of insanity to attempt to cross the Atlantic in a 30 foot sailboat.

2. A bluewater boat needs to be over 100 feet LOA, in order to withstand a "rogue wave" of up to 70 feet.

3. Power boats pay higher transient slip fees than sailboats.

4. Sailboats under 40 feet rarely have shore power installed.

5. All powerboats have more interior volume than sailboats for a given LOA.

I lost count after that.
Why these guys suddenly came into my office to foist a bunch of mis-informed opinions on me, I'll never know. What a bizarre conversation.

I finally told them "Get out of my office. I don't tell you how to fly or ride your motorcycle, so don't tell me how to sail my boat or what it's capable of."

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Ain't it amazin at the number of armchair experts there seem to be in this world. I have a brother-in-law like that. He figures if he, or one of his close friends, hasn't done it, it can't be done.

Buy a cheap, Amazon copy of Endurance, hand it to the guy, and tell him to read it carefully, then come back and tell you that a crossing requires a 100-footer. I'm sure if Shackleton were alive today, he would get quite a chuckle out of that statement.

Oh, and one of our forum members, FerretChaser (Michael) has made 14 trans Atlantic crossings in his 32 foot, homemade boat. Me, I'm just too damned old to try it anymore, but if I were 30 years younger, I would be somewhere in the med this winter aboard my 33 Morgan O.I..

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Yeah send the stinkpotters packing!

Grab your bluewater bucket and the keys to your Mac 26x... and get cracking on your solo round the world voyage.

I'll laugh at you because I'm going to take my laser.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah send the stinkpotters packing!

Grab your bluewater bucket and the keys to your Mac 26x... and get cracking on your solo round the world voyage.
No Love for the Mac Owners here :-(

Back on Topic, I've luckily never gotten the spiel from the definitive authorities of everything on sailing (except when the Mac Bashers tell me what my boat can/can't do :p )

But I've gotten a lot of questions I thought were funny from various people I've taken on trips with me

1) You can only sail in one direction right?
2) You always get the right of way, right? (While pointing at the USS Yorktown at Charleston, SC)
3) If the wind is blowing 30mph, does that mean your boat is going 30mph?
4) What do you do if there is no wind? (as we're MOTORING out of the marina)

etc.

I've always seen it as a good oppurtunity to educate people nicely, and hopefully infect someone else with the wind-riding fever.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Love for the Mac Owners here :-(

Back on Topic, I've luckily never gotten the spiel from the definitive authorities of everything on sailing (except when the Mac Bashers tell me what my boat can/can't do :p )

But I've gotten a lot of questions I thought were funny from various people I've taken on trips with me

1) You can only sail in one direction right?
2) You always get the right of way, right? (While pointing at the USS Yorktown at Charleston, SC)
3) If the wind is blowing 30mph, does that mean your boat is going 30mph?
4) What do you do if there is no wind? (as we're MOTORING out of the marina)

etc.

I've always seen it as a good oppurtunity to educate people nicely, and hopefully infect someone else with the wind-riding fever.
Senc-

I'll say one thing about Mac's- The people in my area frigging USE them. They sail and motor. That's way better than a Tartan 30 that hasn't moved from it's slip in years.

Your 1-4 is why I quit taking people out with me.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Bubs, I still take people out with me, but they must meet certain criteria, such resembling a Barbie Doll, and knowing how to make a good Green Coconut Margaretta.

Bottom's up,

·
2,449 Posts
You missed a chance to have some fun with them.

Don't they know that planes can't fly in the rain and that guys who ride bikes tend to be sexually confused? :laugher

Hey you heard it on the Internet so it has to be true :laugher

Bubs, I still take people out with me, but they must meet certain criteria, such resembling a Barbie Doll, and knowing how to make a good Green Coconut Margaretta.

Bottom's up,

Good stories, easy laughter and a quick intellect make for a good sailing partner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Senc-

I'll say one thing about Mac's- The people in my area frigging USE them. They sail and motor. That's way better than a Tartan 30 that hasn't moved from it's slip in years.
They're easy to get out and play and get back if you have a tight schedule. (An affliction I'm cursed with sadly) I can't tell you the number of times during the summer, I'd get off work and run to the Marina so I could play for about an hour or 2.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same here Senc. It drove me nuts last season that I couldn't find time for a long weekend on the water but I managed to enjoy a lot of short daytrips this year. Good food, great sunsets and piece and quiet away from everything!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Bubblehead, the FEMA guidelines say that when those kind of people burst into your office, you are supposed to evacuate the facility if possible. Shelter in a locked room or under your desk, if you cannot leave. And if you cannot leave or shelter, the new rules say that you should try to attack them before they can commit more mayhem. With any heavy object, kudgel, fire extinguisher, whatever is at hand.

Do not enter the lunchroom or breakroom until the hazmat teams have removed whatever they were imbibing, or whatever has their names on it.

·
bell ringer
5,038 Posts
Oh my...

I just had two co-workers come into my office. One is an amateur pilot and the other rides motorcycles. They know almost nothing of sailing, other than watching boats on the water in the Annapolis area.

These two guys burst into my office, completely unbidden to tell me:

1. It is impossible, it is the height of insanity to attempt to cross the Atlantic in a 30 foot sailboat.

2. A bluewater boat needs to be over 100 feet LOA, in order to withstand a "rogue wave" of up to 70 feet.

3. Power boats pay higher transient slip fees than sailboats.

4. Sailboats under 40 feet rarely have shore power installed.

5. All powerboats have more interior volume than sailboats for a given LOA.

I lost count after that.
Why these guys suddenly came into my office to foist a bunch of mis-informed opinions on me, I'll never know. What a bizarre conversation.

I finally told them "Get out of my office. I don't tell you how to fly or ride your motorcycle, so don't tell me how to sail my boat or what it's capable of."

Sounds that your office is an internet forum :rolleyes:

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need to find a new job.
I've toyed with the idea of starting my own marine electrical/electronics company, sort of like Maine Sail but I don't think I'd be successful so I shelved the idea.

I'm a pretty private person at work. I take my lunch at my desk, and I don't take breaks. I barely socialize with these people. I keep no personal mementos or artifacts at my desk or in my office to give any indicators of my personality.

Still, various co-workers insist on prying into my private life. Every year, at the first dip of the thermometer everyone asks me "Done sailing for the year? Did you put your boat away for the winter?"

My inner monologue goes something like:
"Who are you, and why do you even care? Why are you pestering me? Shouldn't you be talking about football over by the water cooler? Go away!"

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
you forgot one---
i wont run out of fuel. you will.

oh yes,and you will die.

whoopee! we all gonna die!! ignore em, post their comments so we can die laughing, and have FUN!!!!!

fortunately, nurses at work in emergency rooms all dream of shucking the life and going sailing... damn i did pick a good career field...rodlmffao---

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm a pretty private person at work. I take my lunch at my desk, and I don't take breaks. I barely socialize with these people. I keep no personal mementos or artifacts at my desk or in my office to give any indicators of my personality.

My inner monologue goes something like:
"...Go away!"
Must be lingering PTSD from all those years "living in a three bedroom house with a hundred of your closest friends"...:D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts