Reaction score
hmmmmmmmm I like frac rigs...I like sailing and working the main

maybe its cause I like sailing dinghies...like lasers

hmmmmm

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Ive always had a bad time with tell tales...or better put I never completely use them, rather I go by speed and and wether Im luffing or not to get best angle and speed...etc...

its interesting when you say all this rich and It kind of resonates with me cause I pay too much attention to certain things...and just going by telltales alone never worked for me...

I too have noticed the windard tell tales point STRAIGHT up and Forward on many occasions trying to determine what was actually happening...juduging speed, heel, angle etc...

in the end I use many ways to trime sails versus just one way, use all methods to be better etc...

peace

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
man! cool to talk to you at least here

my experience with frac rigs is limited to dinghies and folkboats and hobies and the like and my limited experience tells me that frac rigs like to sail by the main and respond better to the main than a masthead rig, they also sail more like dinghies...

case in point my islander has a very small aspect main, bendy stubby mast with inline spreaders and will sail slow if using anything less than a 130 genoa...big overlap etc...

I have noticed that many 70s boats were all about the size of the jib with little importance given to the main

contessa 32, islanders,yankee 38, almost any ior boat of that era

in any case today Im completely lost in all the variations as Im always stuck boat wise 30,40 years back unless were talking dinghies...

anywhoo back to rigs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.