SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Reaction score
How awesome would that be!

I'll believe it when I see it though. Still, there has to be a huge market for it since China controls the overwhelming majority of rare earth minerals. I'd shell out some coin for a battery that would last 15 years... maybe even go to electric drive.

· Registered
86 Posts
Reaction score
The USC battery isn't designed like the closed ones used in your phone and laptop. It's a redox flow battery. Fow batteries store energy like lithium ion batteries but have their electrolyte (the substance that acts as the medium for the charging and discharging of the battery) separated out of the battery cell in liquid-filled tanks. Flow batteries are used for stationary applications like the power grid - you won't find them in moving cars or mobile gadgets.

Clean storage: These scientists are making an organic, water-based battery for the power grid ? Tech News and Analysis

Damn.. just for large-volume, stationary storage.

Do we really want the miracle battery anyhow? The last thing I want is someone with an electric drive - miracle battery stinkpot lecturing me on how much CO2 was generated producing my sails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.