SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend invited me out on his 30-footer for a short sail, the boat hadn't been sailed in a while, probably for want of crew.

Nice day, westerly wind 5, built almost to 10. Sails are probably original (three decades?), but serviceable for daysailing.

I noticed two things: Jib leads too far forward, and topping lift too tight. Moved leads aft, and slacked the topping lift so we trimmed the sail, and not it, when close hauled, and he said the boat had never pointed that high before. Funny how a couple of zero-dollar adjustments can help a lot.

And in buttoning up the boat, I put a few more wraps on the jib turntable, so jib would furl completely and didn't need to be tied up to secure the last couple of feet.

So I felt useful. I liked that. And then an evening event I had helped plan and hoped would be successful, was.

What's the point of this musing? If you help a boat sail and "be all she can be", other things will go well too? That's what I'm thinking.

·
19,485 Posts
Had a similar "good day" locally with a new member here. Wasn't able to get out for a sail but did help a bit with some of his systems, I think. Feels good to 'pass it on'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.