SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be unique to Odays since they have the exhaust in the center of the transom and at the water line when the boat is under way. My engine on the trip used about a half of quart of oil in what was about 6-10 hrs a day for nearly 10 days while on the Chesapeake. I don't think it's excessive oil use that causes the soot. I do think the exhaust gases get condensed and the soot makes a line across the transom at the water line. I don't see anyway to eliminate this problem other then to relocate the exhaust outlet higher as it is in other boats with transom exiting exhausts. what say the jury??? :rolleyes:

·
19,489 Posts
I've seen people put 10-12 inches of hose on such installations.. probably in the hope of depositing the soot farther from the boat. Don't know how effective that is but it looks a bit goofy....

A friend has seemingly solved a similar problem on his Cat34 by extending his (quarter-mounted) exhaust outlet with a short ABS pipe elbow - looks cleaner than the hose.

Keeping the gelcoat well waxed makes it much easier to get this stain off if you do it regularly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts