SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seemed like the marina emptied out entirely around here. Beautiful weather and a 3 day holiday weekend! We did manage to go out (which is nearly impossible these days with school) and it was great.

Trip: Short sail in light airs across the sound and then anchor to watch the fireworks. Pitched a mizzen tent, ate, drank, and were merry.

Biggest achievement: Untying the docklines.

Worst part: Getting the bow blown off while backing out and having to cut off a police patrol boat to keep from bashing into my neighbor. :eek:

Things I learned: Poulsbo mud is great! Even with the anchor chain vertical the manual windlass wouldn't pull out the anchor.

Who else went out and what did you do/learn?

MedSailor

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i have spent the last 5 days on the boat at fells point by the baltimore inner harbor. with motor troubles my wife wont let me go out very far in to the bay.

but tonight i am home in the ac with the king size bed

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I learned to screen who you buddy boat with pretty carefully. lol. Our Yacht Club had a trip to St. Mary, roughly 47NM from our marina, for the concert and fireworks. The plan was originally to leave Thursday to get there early Friday, but they changed to leave Wednesday to be sure they got there before the anchorage filled up. I couldn't take that much time off, so we planned to stay closer to home. Well we got down to the boat Thursday afternoon, and ran into some friends who said they were going up to St. Mary's in one hop leaving early Friday AM. Well what the heck, we'll just tag along. Winds were forecast out of the north-northwest at 10-15, so it would be a beat all the way up. Oh, yeah, we'd hit just in time for the ebb tide, so the current would be against us also. Oh well, we could always duck in to one of the many nice rivers along the west shore between D'ville and the Potomac if things were too rough or we weren't making good time. A close reach on a port tack in 20G25 had us up to Smith Point in 5 hours of sailing in moderate chop. That only left 20 some odd miles to go, directly into the wind, so break out the iron genny and pound direcly into the famous Chesapeake chop which had built to average around 4', for another 4.5 hours to St. Mary's river where our buddy boat decides they've had enough, and are anchoring in the first suitable cove they can find. WTH? If I wanted a seculded anchorage I could have found one hours ago and you guys want to quit just when we reach calmer water? Sigh! We tagged along and joined them, but I really wish we'd have at least pushed on to see what the anchorage looked like. It likely was packed, but we could have had a look and gone back down to the cove we anchored in and still had the anchor down before dark. Anyway, we decided we had to go at least have a look at St Marys while we were so close so we went up in the AM Saturday to check it out, thinking we'd sail 1/2 the way back to Dville that aftenoon and get home early Sunday. After we'd looked around a while, our buddy boat let us know they planned to go all the way back to D'ville that day, leaving St Marys at noon! Crap, if I'd known you wanted to do that, I'd have argued for an early start and skip seeing the old settlement. The conditions were perfect for sailing down the to the Potomac and on to the bay but we motored on rather than sail, knowing we'd never make it if we didn't. I so wish I'd kept my own counsel and just sailed as far as we could and anchored for the night. However, getting back on Saturday, did allow me time to scrub the boat down and take care of some items to have the boat ready for the Leukemia Cup next weekend, so it wasn't all bad and the St. Marys is a beautiful River. It was a nice learing experience.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Horeshoe bend is a nice anchorage, and the friday night concert is a real treat. I opted to drive up to solomon's island and watch the fireworks from a friends boat, but spent most of the day sailing around St. Mary's and potomac rivers.

PS - I'll see you at the Leukemia cup, I'll be on an Evelyn 32-2. Jim Baldwin's boat.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
New York City

Hello,

It wasn't exactrly this past weekend, but my family and I sailed from our home port of Mt. Sinai NY to New York City and back.

I moved the boat to Port Washington on Saturday June 27. On Sunday my wife and kids, plus my sister and brother in law and my dad were on the boat by 8:30AM for the trip to NYC. The wind was light so we motorsailed with the main up and went under the Throggs Neck bridge, Whitestone Bridge, past Riker's Island, then into the East River and down through Hell Gate, UN building, etc.

We finally entered NY Harbor, saw the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and all the sites. Then it was up the Hudson River to the 79th st boat basin, where we stayed for a few nights. Wednesday we left and did the trip in reverse.

Then we were back on the boat Saturday night to watch fire works off Port Jeff.

Everything worked well and it was a good trip.

If anyone is interested I can provide more details.

Barry

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
We had a Twohundred Mile weekend, most of it was motorsailing, but we will take it. The best sail of the weekend and the entire trip was the 3 knott average day sail on Friday. I had three little guests on board (ages 6 - 12)and they thought it was the best thing in the world.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
:D I haven't been out for 7-8 months. Work just gets in the way. My brother drove down for his vacation. He ,his kids, and I went out. We let the current drift us off the dock, and motored nearly 20 miles.

As we were turning around the wind filled in, and we close hauled, and reached all the way back. The wind was just over 10knots, and we pulled a steady 6-7+ knots.

We sailed back to the pier, and dropped the sails. Paralell parked alongside my berth, and let the current do it's work for the second time of the day. I just can't wait to leave the dock, and never return...:D ...i2f

·
Registered
113 Posts
The weather cooperates

We had some decent weather in the Chicago area for the weekend. Despite the fact that Friday was rainy and temperatures were running below normal there was sailing to be had on Lake Michigan. Saturday was a great day to practice ghosting along on flat water and sunny skies - family and friends watched suburban fireworks from the boat and had a picnic/party at the slip. Sunday afternoon was flukey with periods of great sailing in sunny 8-12 knots true and flat water to 2-3 knots of wind and a few rain showers. Overall perfect for a relaxing sail - just my wife and me. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Winds were forecast out of the north-northwest at 10-15, so it would be a beat all the way up. Oh, yeah, we'd hit just in time for the ebb tide, so the current would be against us also.
I encountered the same trying to get back up the bay to my port in St. Leonard, MD which is about 5 nautical miles north of the LNG Platform off Cove Pt. Friday was my first sail with my new to me C&C 25; although we had a great day of sailing it became a real learning experience trying to fight our way back up the bay in the wind and current when we decided to come back to port in the afternoon.

We made it back in one piece and learned some while doing it.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
All hail the wind gods

We had it all planned. We'd watch the fireworks at our marina Friday night then spend the Fourth in or around St. Michaels, then back home on Sunday. We got it about half right.
We did watch the fireworks from the flying bridge of our dock neighbor's boat. Great evening, lots of booze and good conversation and spectacular fireworks. We had such a great time that we were a little late getting Enchantress under way , but it's only 3-4 hours to St Michaels depending on the wind.
The wind was perfect. It seemed like the powers that be had assigned a new set of wind gods to the middle bay and they were determined to get the first day right. We left the green spider at the top of the entrance channel to Herrington South put the genoa up and the rail down and drove Enchantress for all she was worth on a close reach across the bay. Figure the winds were about 15 kts from the Northwest or thereabouts as our wind speed indicator was reading in the mid to upper 20 range and our speed over ground ( according to the GPS ) was over 11 kts.
This was the best sail I've had in Enchantress and one of the best sails ever. Beautiful day, sunny, not too hot. We got to R4 on the Eastern Bay where we'd turn into the Miles River and head toward St Michaels but the sailing was just too good. We turned around and headed back the way we came this time on a broad reach and by the wind speed indicator the wind might have picked up a couple of knots - or maybe not. Was having too good a time to do the math. Anyway we did the round trip from the Herrington South channel to R4 in the Eastern Bay and back again in just over 3 hours.
We were going to turn around and do it again but the wind had started to die so we headed back to our slip instead. My wife was so inspired by the day's sailing that she fired up the propane stove and made pasta with red clam sauce, crusty garlic bread and Italian cold cuts and cheese. Served with lots of red wine and beer.
Sunday turned out to be rainy with very little wind, not a great day to be out on the bay. But Saturday, the wind gods made it all perfect, one of those days that register in your mind and stay there forever.
And a final note. When dealing with the wind gods it always helps to sacrifice a goat.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Sailed cross the Sound to Branford. Found I can still anchor in the harbor north of the Mermaids. Found that a 35 lb CQR with 45' of chain can be tough to raise. (kudos to my crew who did it every time on a recent delivery without complaint) Scariest moment: stopped ready to drop anchor, inflatable approaching stbd side, oday approaching port, rocks astern. Hailed the oday, who promptly turned toward me. Near miss after shouting "are you mad?!?". Best non private moment: bright moon on the water over distant fireworks.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I went out Friday to race in the Firecracker Regatta at our club. The entrants included 2 race boats, 2 Hobies, a little laser and myself. The Committee expected more boats, and bought prizes for 1,2, and 3 in 2 fleets. Since we had 6 boats, they divvyed us up into PHRF boats and wind rated boats. That put me in with the 2 race boats, and the Hobies and the Laser together. 6 boats, 6 bottles of Sailor Jerry's, easy math.

Saturday I raced with my friend Bill on his Ranger 22. Got spanked by a J24 twice in a row. Oh well.

By the time we got back from racing, my brother and his wife had showed up in their boat, and my sister and her family made it in from Houston. As soon as the sails were put away on the Ranger, I took my brother in law the rocket scientist (he actually is) and one of his girls out on my boat. 2 hours later we were back at the club house cooking dinner, then we loaded up my boat and my brothers boat and headed for the dam for fireworks. We had a nice downwind run under main only. The fireworks show used to be an incredible 90 minutes of grand finale, but this year all of the townships that banded together to put on the show are having budget problems. So instead we got 15 minutes of average fireworks. Bummer.

By the time we pulled the hook it was about 11pm. The wind was still blowing about 15 knots with gusts a bit higher. I had my brother in law drive for a moment while I pulled the anchor up and raised the main. Even though this was his second time sailing (including the sail just before dinner) I let him drive for a while. I told him to come up in a puff and down in a lull. He did great, so I let him take us home. About 2 hours of beating upwind later I dropped the main and rolled the jib, and took over steering to get us into the slip. He had such a great time sailing, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts looking at buying a boat soon.

Sunday my wife and I took a much needed nap on the boat, then I helped a friend install a new set of winches on an old Ericson.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Day Sailing Two out of Three Days

I had a great single-handed sail on Friday. The winds on the Ches around Thomas Point Light looked to be about 10 - 12 knots, judging by the sparse whitecaps. Just as well. Single handing without an autopilot was challenging. I'd lock the steering and quickly adjust a sail -- by the time I got back to the wheel, I'd be 30 degrees off course!

The best part of Friday was 15 minutes where where the wind stepped up to between 15 and 20 with higher gusts. I was overpowered, judging by the strong weather helm the boat developed, but I mostly kept to course and even buried a rail for 30 seconds or so! If only there were witnesses.

Sunday was a surprisingly good sailing day. The winds were lighter, 8 or 9 knots, but the clouds kept the temps to the mid-70s and there was little humidity. I took a visiting friend from Hawaii out for her first sail, and we both enjoyed it. The conditions were just right to teach a beginner. We also enjoyed some anchoring and swimming at the mouth of the South River. She quickly picked up steering while I handled the sails, and we ended up making a good team. We stayed out way later than we intended we were having so much fun. After the sail, we treated ourselves to dinner and ice cream at Friendly's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
went out on the Potomac off Mason Neck (out of the Occoquan R.) Saturday w. my cousins from Mass. who were down helping their daughter get ready to move back to Boston. Six of us crowded onto the Pearson 26.

Very nice 2 hr. sail (a couple of the girls were feeling a little queasy) with good breeze, though a lot of power boat wake chop to deal with ...

... and on the way back in, just about 800' from the dock, in the Occoquan Channel, my outboard's recent gremlin came back (it was, of course, fine before having it serviced & a new water pump put in in March) and the engine died, with 10-15 kts on the port quarter pushing us to shallow water & mud.:eek::eek:

I could start it but it died when giving it any power.

Luckily the nice power boater & his wife who had been behind us coming in were close by and took the stern dock line I had ready to go, and were able to gently tow us backwards through the channel to our dock, where I stepped off w/ dock lines, avoiding a real mess. We were able to walk Catalyst around the T dock into our slip (at the end of the dock, that helps).:cool:

Sunday I went down and ran the f'in outboard for 50 mins. to try to simulate the stalling when going down to idle speed & then reverse after full power motoring for a while. I adjusted the engine as advised by the local shop previously and it seemed to be OK. We'll see next time I'm out (solo)... one more hiccup and it's back to the shop to get them to get it right.

Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did a quick sail in Long Beach harbor, nice wind 10 to 12 kts, lots of boats so there were alot of wakes, back at the slip, hung out and watched the firework show at the Queen Mary, Sunday, watched the Transpac boats leave the Harbor for the start of the Transpac Race. Trying to finish a bunch of projects before going to Catalina Island for week, the main project is the Autopilot upgrade.

Pat

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Sailed down to Cuttyhunk on Saturday, saw the fireworks there... went up to So. Dartmouth on Sunday.... went to Marion on Monday.

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
Raced on Saturday. Crewed for a guy on his Nolex 30. Gust to 40 knots and swells to 2 metre. 40 boats started, four retired. It was a rough beat, we got hammered, several boats had pretty dramatic round ups.
We average 8.8 knots and finsihed 5th overall and 2nd in our class.
I Was a very stiff & tired little boy by the end of the day.

Mychael

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Beautiful moment for the weekend here in Maine. We left Portland for Boothbay and then the rain started again! 'out for this weekend, but we've been out for the last eleven weeks. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.