SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 Catalina 22 and I am interested in installing a sound system. By far the most common setup that I see is to have two flush mount speakers installed on the cockpit wall from the inside, facing the cockpit. However, I really do not want to drill large holes in my boat unless I absolutely have to. What I would really like is to have a Bluetooth enabled box speaker mounted somewhere in the cockpit that I can have on an articulating arm, so that I could swing it out to face the cockpit if I'm outside, or swing it back inside the cabin if I'm inside. Anybody have any experience doing something like this? Or any other advice? I am not crazy about a car stereo to drive the sound since this is mainly for CDs and FM radio, neither of which I care about. I will pretty much only be streaming music from my phone.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool! Did you mount it somewhere, or do you just carry it loose and plop it down wherever you want it at the moment? I think mine would need to be mounted somewhere, since I usually sail singlehanded and my gear is constantly getting jolted around without me being able to attend to it.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
On a boat that small just get some sort of boom box (that ecoxbt looks pretty sweet) and call it a day. I used a little portable AM/FM stereo on my old 21' boat for years. I just sat it in the cockpit or lashed it to the mast and tried not to snag the antenna with any stray lines. It wasn't even waterproof, but it lasted for at least 5 or 6 years. Total investment---about $15.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've seen small box speakers installed in the cubbies in the cockpit coamings. Very unobtrusive installation.

I have a Sony car stereo down below, driving two old Realistic Minimus 7s that are also below, but can be heard in the cockpit. You regularly see them on Ebay.

Here you go :

Vintage Realistic Wood Grain Minimus 7 w Woodgrain Speakers | eBay

I also have two waterproof small box speakers in the cockpit that can be disconnected (the ones below are always on)

The Minimus 7s sound way better than any reasonably-priced waterproof speakers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just set it wherever. It has a rubberized base that is pretty "sticky". The sides are rubberized handles that would be useful for strapping to something. It comes with a strap and caribiner so it could be hung from something also.

Note: Last night it fell from the top of the shower door to the tile floor and never stopped playing. One up for durability.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I spent a summer with a girl friend on a Catalina 22 pop-top, and owned a Capri 22 for a while. Installed a radio below with speakers below hooked to the front outputs of the radio. Put another pair of speakers in a replacement slide-in board for the companionway hooked to the rear outputs with easy to use connectors. Worked a treat.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
+1 on boom box. When it breaks, throw it away and buy another.
  • NO holes in boat
  • NO wires
  • NO installation headaches

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
if all you are doing is playing music from your phone, just get a decent Bluetooth speaker and put it in the cockpit when needed. no need to install it. I bought my wife a JBL speaker and she loves it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts