SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of wiring in a wet/dry vac to make it easier to keep the boat clean. I can make a small enclosure in front of the v-berth to hold the vac, and the wiring and external switch shouldn't be a problem.

Then I priced 12 gauge marine wire at West. $3.30/ft :eek:

If I tap off of the outlet in the head I'll need 12' to 15' of wire. Is there an online source for quality marine wiring/switches/outlets at a more reasonable price?

Thanks
Jim McGee

·
Bender of Nails
66 Posts
You could drop down to 14/3 as well, might save you a little.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
GenuineDealz is a pretty good source. What you want is marine-grade triplex 12 or 14 AWG wire. Berkshire makes good wire that is much more reasonably priced. Contact them and they can probably give you the name of a distributor near you that you can purchase from.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Jim-
I've gotten 4g AWG fully tinned "machine wire", which is very similar to battery cable, for under a buck a foot from eBay. There are a number of commercial wire suppliers who sell remnants and spool ends that way, and bargains to be had if you can take some time to wait for them to be auctioned off.
When you compare prices, bear in mind shipping can be steep on "metal". If you are planning more wiring work in the future--prices on 100' spools are always way cheaper than buying per foot. And your local stores--even West--might offer you a deal if they've also got a spool remnant, i.e. the last 15' on a spool. Always worth asking, just make sure of your measurements first.

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendations.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,760 Posts
Berkshire

GenuineDealz is a pretty good source. What you want is marine-grade triplex 12 or 14 AWG wire. Berkshire makes good wire that is much more reasonably priced. Contact them and they can probably give you the name of a distributor near you that you can purchase from.
Berkshire wire can be purchased from Sailors Solutions

Berkshire - Sailors Solutions 14-3 $1.09 ft (LINK)

I really prefer Berkshire to Ancor or Cobra wire as it has a much better jacket that is more flexible and easier to work with especially the Berkshire battery cable.

Oh and MADE IN THE USA !!!! Support the US economy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts