SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the diesel fuel fill hoses on my Whitby 42. One of them takes a 90 degree turn that is currently a copper elbow. Looks like it came from Home Depot. I'd rather have that item in bronze but have not found a source for it yet. I could 'build' it with a threaded elbow and two tail pieces - I can find that... but I would rather have it all one piece. Tried WM, Defender, even some plumbing supply stores. Searched the internet, searched here... no luck. :confused:

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Scott - I had a similar problem with part of the bilge pump plumbing, looking for a plastic elbow that size. I could not find such a thing in the usual places and eventually tried searching for a bronze fitting the same size. I'm afraid I had no luck with that either (sorry!). I eventually found a local plumbing supply place and they neither stocked such a thing nor could order it for me.... they did have a plastic one, though. :)

I hope someone comes up with a source. If not, the "composite" approach that you suggest should be absolutely OK.

Stuart

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Provided the copper elbow is only connected to hoses, what is the problem??? Galvanic corrosion shouldn't be much of an issue, unless this piece is normally submerged in the bilge—then it is a bit of a problem. If the part isn't submerged, isn't in contact with other metal, why bother? Diesel doesn't care that it is bronze or copper.

I am replacing the diesel fuel fill hoses on my Whitby 42. One of them takes a 90 degree turn that is currently a copper elbow. Looks like it came from Home Depot. I'd rather have that item in bronze but have not found a source for it yet. I could 'build' it with a threaded elbow and two tail pieces - I can find that... but I would rather have it all one piece. Tried WM, Defender, even some plumbing supply stores. Searched the internet, searched here... no luck. :confused:

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree with sailingdog.
have you tried Groco or do a google search for the item?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
groco catalog does not show bronze elbows

Midland metal Midland Metal Mfg. - Brass Fittings, Valves, Nipples & Fittings, Plastic Fittings, Hose Clamps, Tubing, Pneumatic Quick Disconnect, Accessories, Hydraulic Adapters
Buck Algonquin
Yacht Supply Surplus
BRASS FITTINGS Brass Pipe Fittings Hose Barbs Stainless Steel Fittings Hydraulic Adapters Hydraulic Fittings Grease Zerks Hose Clamps

The real question is whether you will be getting "Bronze" or "Red Brass".
They are quite similar but real bronze is better. Many sources of bronze are actually selling red brass. For your application, red brass should be plenty fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
You don't need to use bronze in a fuel system or in your domestic on board water system. Copper or brass is perfectly acceptable. If you still want bronze try Hamilton Marine or Jamestown Distributors..

·
Registered
168 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts