SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about renting from South River Boat Rentals for a 3 day rental. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
I'm thinking about renting from South River Boat Rentals for a 3 day rental. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks.
My two cents on this: I've used South River for day rentals (like 4 hours) before. The experience was fine, and they are laid back and were friendly. However, for a 3-day trip, I probably would choose a charter company that specializes in boats for overnights and longer charters (as opposed to hourly rentals). Not bashing South River or anything--my experience with them was fine for a daysail.

We chartered from Haven Charters in Rock Hall, MD several times for several days/weeks at a time and had a good experience each time. I think their price may actually work out better, and their boats are set up for cruising as opposed to daysails.

Again, just my two cents....
-J

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info! That was just what I was getting a feeling about when I spoke to them.

I stopped by Haven Charters when I was in Rock Hall recently, and was impressed with them. My reason for South River is that they have the model boat I am looking at buying. I'd like to do some sailing in that type before I make my decision.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
My reason for South River is that they have the model boat I am looking at buying.
Ahhh, well that changes everything! That's certainly a good reason to rent/charter from a specific company, if you're scoping out boats.

Which model is it, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The O'Day 28. It's a step above trailer sailing with the ability to do short trips, and not a prohibitive entry cost, in case the admiral doesn't want to pursue the sailing life.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
The O'Day 28. It's a step above trailer sailing with the ability to do short trips, and not a prohibitive entry cost, in case the admiral doesn't want to pursue the sailing life.
I thought that might be the boat you were thinking of. The O'Day 28 is the boat I rented there, and more importantly, my family owned one for 5 years when I was a teenager. Also have a friend who had one a few years ago. I'm pretty familiar with O'Day 28s, although I haven't owned one as an adult, so I'm sure there are others out there who are far better experts on maintenance issues, etc.

I don't think you can beat the amount of room for the size and price range of these boats. Our family of 4 sailed ours all over the Bay for weeks at a time, and even sailed round trip from VA to Newport, RI and back. I've seen a number of them in poor condition, and only an occasional decent one. But if you can find a decent one for a good price, I think it can be a good boat for the money.

Good luck in your "research"!
-J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts