SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sailing newbie
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Southcoast 22 is going cheap close to me. It has sat outside for some time and has mould or moss on it from the trees etc. Needs at least a decent cleaning. All the rigging and sails are in good condition the seller says, I have not gone to look a it yet. Are these boats decent, better or worse than a Catalina 22? Price is under $1000, how far under I don't know.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not intimately familiar with the Southcoast 22 but if it's under $1000, I'd at least just go look at it. You can tell a lot about a boat by looking at the actual boat (not just photos). Step on the deck to check for soft spots, etc.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Comet with bleach will turn the nastiest decks into a clean deck, you'll have to check careful the condition of the deck core, keel, rigging, sails and everything else, let us know..

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
The South Coast is a little lighter than the Catalina 22.

South Coast

LOA 22'
Beam 7'
Disp. 1800 lbs.
Ballast 550 lbs.
Draft (bd. Up/down) 13" / 5'

Catalina

LOA 21' 5"
Beam 7' 8"
Disp. 2490 lbs
Ballast 800 lbs
Draft (bd. Up/down) 24" / 5'

I'm in Indianapolis also if you'd like a second set of eyes looking at her I'd be glad to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had one years ago, did a complete refit , painted it with interthane 2 part. Nice sailing boat. I sailed on the coast of Maine so conditions were usually somewhat challenging for a small boat. It never let me down and was a pleasure to sail.

·
Sailing newbie
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Sounds like it would not like rougher seas compared to a Catalina, but might be faster? Not that I would even take it to salt water, nice lake here in Indy, Eagle Creek, for a boat that size.
Thanks Catman, might get a second opinion if it comes to that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts