SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled across this boat...seems to be a pretty neat coastie cruiser. The interior layout took a couple minutes to adjust to and I dont know much about swing keels. :confused:

I havent had a chance to do much research and was wondering what others opinions are of this new model.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably seen this link by now of a charter outfit that uses one. I like shoal draft, and the Southerly boats seem to have it done well
Mike
I hadnt seen it Mike..thanks. My only knowledge of the swing keels was the daggerboard style...this seems pretty neat. 2"10 shoal to almost 9' for at sea. I would think that would offer the best of both worlds...I just wonder what the negatives are...besides the price :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I read somewhere that maintenance on the keel, which is iron, requires a very expensive haul-out to recondition every decade or so. Practical Sailor had a review a year or so back. The only thing I remember from the review was how expensive the boat is!
Mike

·
Registered
987 Posts
Paul & Sheryl Shard of the "Distant Shores" TV show recently sailed their new Southerly 42 back to North America from Europe. They LOVE it! Paul wrote a story about the boat in the October issue of Lats & Atts (I think it was that issue). I saw them and the boat at the Annapolis show. The layout is a little different, but I liked it. And Paul was very enthusiastic about the sailing performance, not to mention the gunkholing ability in the Bahamas...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts