SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any real sailing experience or real on deck/cabin experience with this boat... I've separated my search from the Cat 445 vs Oyster since that thread went off on a tangent... I'm not no where looking for an Oyster.

Southerly 420

This seems to be another in the Southerly line I'd like a closer look at. The more I see this model the more I like it. But I do love the Cat 445.

I know Donna was aboard the Southerly 42 in Annapolis during one of her visits and really like the boat from her first impression. I guess I'd like someone who actually sailed on the 420 to give me first impressions of their cruising and overall opinion on this model.

Thanks...

·
Registered
315 Posts
The 420 is a centre cockpit version of the aft cockpit Southerly 42 that Paul and Sheryl Shard of Distant Shores fame sailed for a few years before trading up to a Southerly 49. They have lots of observations on Southerly and the 42 in particular on their website here: Southerly 42 Distant Shores
Their comments on the variable draft keel will likely be applicable but any comments they have on the interior layout will likely not be applicable to your deliberations on the 420.
Both are way out of my league!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 420 is a centre cockpit version of the aft cockpit Southerly 42 that Paul and Sheryl Shard of Distant Shores fame sailed for a few years before trading up to a Southerly 49. They have lots of observations on Southerly and the 42 in particular on their website here: Southerly 42 Distant Shores
Their comments on the variable draft keel will likely be applicable but any comments they have on the interior layout will likely not be applicable to your deliberations on the 420.
Both are way out of my league!
Thanks CS... I'm familiar with the Shard's 42 and subsequent move up to the 49... they have some nice close ups of the 42 and 49 on the show and it's aired in Montreal and I watch every chance I get... the center cockpit model is a rare bird though... it's got a nice layout similar to the 49, more room in my view but that could be deceiving as they really don't go into the cabin in its entirety... hard to put minute shots and glances into something I could put teeth into.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I've been aboard the previous version of the 42 in Annapolis, I always stop by the Southerly to say hi to Jack and Sharon Malatich of S&J Yachts. I've done some delivery work for them over the years, (Jack was the major Trintella rep in the States back when), but have yet to have a chance to run a Southerly. They're a beautifully crafted boat, no question, but to be honest, I've never poked around one all that closely. Jack and Sharon are the ones you want to contact if you're really interested, they're terrific people to deal with, who can be trusted to do right by their customers...

Depends on what you want to do with the boat, of course, but the first thing that jumps out at me when I look at a boat like that is: Where the hell are you gonna put all your STUFF ??? Like so many of these designs today, virtually the entire interior volume of the boat is occupied by ACCOMMODATION and LIVING SPACE, with little consideration to stowage space for all the deck gear you need to actually go cruising... I see what appear to be a pair of tiny lazarette lockers at the stern quarters, and maybe you could stuff a fender and some dock lines in the forepeak, but that appears to be about it... Hell, an asymetrical spinnaker alone might fill one of those stern deck lockers (if that indeed is what they are) But, at least at a glance, this boat does not appear to be capable of stowing as much crap below deck as I cruise with on my puny little 30-footer :)

Perhaps my single biggest gripe about production boats today, and particularly center cockpit designs, is the lack of dedicated and accessible stowage of gear... I'm sure most builders are fearful that at the Boat Shows, that's perceived as wasted space, that could otherwise be occupied by yet another berth, or a washer/dryer... Hell, it's like they're all building McMansions, without any basement or garage whatsoever... :)

·
Registered
16,464 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Where I live, shallow draft is highly prized!

I've been on one, don't remember which one at a boat show. Couldn't get by the layout, but that's a personal preference issue. Make sure you get on one and see if it works for you. Was like a split level (don't like those either, again personal preference).

I'd be envying your draft for sure if you settle on one of these.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I too like the 42RST. Tops on my list and very well built. Beautifully crafted. I'd take this boat over the oyster and 445.

Jon, How many cruisers trully fly asyms and the like? From surveys these sails are rarely flown. Racing yes, for fun yes. I do understand about the storage though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon... while I don't see many storage lockers in that diagram... I'm sure they're there... The Shard's took their 42 on many voyages before trading up to the 49 so I imagine they had the ample storage capacity for their needs.

I too like the 42RST but like the inner cabin layout of the 420. Funny how little changes can mean a big difference in a cabin.

The 420 is substantially a little more than what we have budgeted as well... I'd have to sell the farm on this one... I will regard this as 'our' second home away from home and so don't mind a little extra effort to get what we both want.

Paulo... did you ever get on one of the center cockpit versions on your side of the pond? How sturdy and build quality would you say? As good as the Oyster/Swans, similar in terms of wood, cabinetry, finish, etc.?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Jon... while I don't see many storage lockers in that diagram... I'm sure they're there... The Shard's took their 42 on many voyages before trading up to the 49 so I imagine they had the ample storage capacity for their needs.
Well, as has been already mentioned, the Shards were sailing a different boat. A lazarette running the width of the transom is visible in the diagram Paulo provided... Whenever I get on a boat like the 420, with an aft cabin port in the transom, I know the fenders will be spending the trip tied to the stern rail... :)

I too like the 42RST but like the inner cabin layout of the 420. Funny how little changes can mean a big difference in a cabin.
Perhaps it's just me, but I fail to see the point of a raised salon configuration, if one can't look out of all those picture windows without having to stand up :)

On the other hand, I think that galley location on the RST would be awful while underway or on a passage... Getting food or drink up to the cockpit, with it not only being that far forward of the companionway, but having that big step up to the level of the raised salon, could present a real challenge. On a boat of that size, passing stuff from the galley to the cockpit should be much easier than that, that setup would get very old, very quickly, at least for me...

Seems like a lot of elevation change, and a lot of distance to cover in a seaway, with food and drink in hand...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I
Jon, How many cruisers trully fly asyms and the like? From surveys these sails are rarely flown.
You're right, of course - flying such sails is extremely rare among cruisers, I don't know what I was thinking, there...

Odds are those cubbyholes will be stuffed with jerry cans, instead... Diesel on one side, and gasoline for the Honda 2500 on the other...

For when the onboard Fischer-Panda generator suffers one of its inevitable breakdowns, that is...:)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, as has been already mentioned, the Shards were sailing a different boat. A lazarette running the width of the transom is visible in the diagram Paulo provided... Whenever I get on a boat like the 420, with an aft cabin port in the transom, I know the fenders will be spending the trip tied to the stern rail... :)

Perhaps it's just me, but I fail to see the point of a raised salon configuration, if one can't look out of all those picture windows without having to stand up :)

On the other hand, I think that galley location on the RST would be awful while underway or on a passage... Getting food or drink up to the cockpit, with it not only being that far forward of the companionway, but having that big step up to the level of the raised salon, could present a real challenge. On a boat of that size, passing stuff from the galley to the cockpit should be much easier than that, that setup would get very old, very quickly, at least for me...

Seems like a lot of elevation change, and a lot of distance to cover in a seaway, with food and drink in hand...
The Shard's have been using the 42RST for two years... so they must have had the storage they needed... maybe other reasons for moving up may have been the extra storage, the 49 is a monster compared to the 42's... I would love the interior of the 49... the boat might just be a little too big for me cost/maintenance... not like I have a Distant Shores TV program or DVD sales to sponsor the cost. ;)

The raised salon perhaps is a solution to the centerboard keel/hydraulic mechanism... there must be plenty of storage under the raised salon and it's indicated in the PDF. In the PDF it also indicates the sail hatch and hatches for other items and storage. I believe it has the required storage for our type of sailing... mostly coastal cruising and occasional run to the Caribbean.

Agree on the description of the setup for serving stuff from the galley also galley to the raised salon.

This is why it is frustrating and at the same time exciting to see the new boat interiors more than just a quick glance, an actual visit to see these boats are in order.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Paulo... did you ever get on one of the center cockpit versions on your side of the pond? How sturdy and build quality would you say? As good as the Oyster/Swans, similar in terms of wood, cabinetry, finish, etc.?
No, but I am sure the quality is similar to the 42 RST that as others said it is very good. I never been inside a modern Swan but I would say that the Southerly finish compares with the one of some Nordic boats.

Storage in a cruising boat is very important. Have a good look at the two boats and you will see the the Aft cabin in the center cockpit occupies much more space (the full length of the boat) while on the 42RST there is considerable more storage space aft:

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
If you are talking about the 42RST not necessarily. Those two lateral lockers at the end of the boat are very deep (from the settee to the bottom) and it is possible to have the fenders hanging on the inside in a vertical position where they would not take much space.

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If you are talking about the 42RST not necessarily. Those two lateral lockers at the end of the boat are very deep (from the settee to the bottom) and it is possible to have the fenders hanging on the inside in a vertical position where they would not take much space.

Regards

Paulo
Sure, that's possible, hard to tell without actually looking at the boat...

However, what I really don't like about such lockers, is that from the drawing it appears that I would not be physically able to actually get inside of one, without perhaps being hung upside down from my ankles, or something... I hate it when that happens... :)

Although, I'm guessing there could be access though the aft cabin, from underneath the centerline berth, or similar... But that's another of my pet peeves, deep lockers that are very difficult to access from the deck, or of the size that if you actually are able to crawl inside of, you're virtually unable to move :)

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Sure, that's possible, hard to tell without actually looking at the boat...

However, what I really don't like about such lockers, is that from the drawing it appears that I would not be physically able to actually get inside of one, without perhaps being hung upside down from my ankles, or something... I hate it when that happens... :)

Although, I'm guessing there could be access though the aft cabin, from underneath the centerline berth, or similar... But that's another of my pet peeves, deep lockers that are very difficult to access from the deck, or of the size that if you actually are able to crawl inside of, you're virtually unable to move :)
Yes I agree about that. Here you can see the lockers with all the fenders inside:

But the storage is like you say nad I don't like it too...but it is better than nothing. The truth is that my performance 41ft has a lot more storage than the 42RST, I know it is not very usual on a performance boat but besides a sail locker after the big anchor locker and the two cockpit lockers it has a big aft one with a huge opening where you can go inside. That locker (where the steering system inside a closed wooden box, is separated from the rest of the boat by a watertight bulkhead.

I agree with you, you cannot have both things, a huge interior space and a good storage. In fact I use one of the aft cabins as storage space for things like sails and canvas for shade. it is hard to understand how someone is going to do that if the aft cabin is just one king sized one. Sure you can use the front cabin but then you cannot receive guests.

But then Guitarguy maybe is not interested in long range cruising or in living several months in the boat. On the other hand that boat has lots of interior spaces for storage, much more than the version he seems to like more since the space below the raised saloon is used for storage and the space volume is big.

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yes I agree about that. Here you can see the lockers with all the fenders inside:

But the storage is like you say nad I don't like it too...but it is better than nothing. The truth is that my performance 41ft has a lot more storage than the 42RST, I know it is not very usual on a performance boat but besides a sail locker after the big anchor locker and the two cockpit lockers it has a big aft one with a huge opening where you can go inside. That locker (where the steering system inside a closed wooden box, is separated from the rest of the boat by a watertight bulkhead.

I agree with you, you cannot have both things, a huge interior space and a good storage. In fact I use one of the aft cabins as storage space for things like sails and canvas for shade. it is hard to understand how someone is going to do that if the aft cabin is just one king sized one. Sure you can use the front cabin but then you cannot receive guests.

But then Guitarguy maybe is not interested in long range cruising or in living several months in the boat. On the other hand that boat has lots of interior spaces for storage, much more than the version he seems to like more since the space below the raised saloon is used for storage and the space volume is big.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo... Thank you for the video... that helped a lot to see more of the interior... the three boats are similar and only in the interior layout as well as the different storage changes some... I agree under the raised salon is a huge storage space many do not consider as it's not in the open... I look at it as a huge walk in closet. There has to be access for the hydraulic mechanism for the keel as well as other things such as batteries, equipment, etc.

You are right as I'm am not looking for years out in a boat... mentioned earlier I'm looking for 9 months max on the boat, cruising the South Florida, Caribbean areas only... no ocean crossings to Europe or Hawaii, etc. There are just too many places to cruise in the Caribbean and my lifetime will never see all the islands or all the anchorages, etc.

It would be more 'comforts' more than storage for me, more livable space then survival, I won't be storing thousands of pounds of food, supplies, etc. for two to three months of cruising.

Either layout is fine with me... but I notice on all the Southerly layouts for the 42's there is no place to install a small upright digital piano... that is important to me... maybe not to others but for me it's one of my idiosyncrasies I can't go without. :(

Chao...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.